The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Looking for a good AG recipe book

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
eltorrente
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

"How To Brew" and "Designing Great Beers" are great books, and should allow you to formulate your own recipes.

Use recipes for the first few beers to get you on the right track maybe, but you need to figure out how to design your own great beer. You will NEVER EVER duplicate anyone's beer, with a given recipe. Too many variables that are different in your brewhouse and techniques compared to whoever came up with the original recipe.

Start with simple recipes - like Pale Ales with one or two grains, and you'll make good beers. Switch out a certain grain with another grain and see how it affects the taste. Same with hops. Build from there. Pretty soon you'll be able to read about what a certain style calls for, and be able to simply come up with your own.

Don't get addicted and too reliant on someone else's recipes, or trying to make clone beers all the time. You can do better when you learn your own system and tastes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I personally love brewing classic styles, I use the grain profiles for what ever style I'm making as inspiration. The grain bill i brewed yesterday came from that book, i just changed the hops.

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 -
Primary 2 -
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Imperial IPA, Oaked zythos pale ale, Cascadian dark ale, Sumpin sumpin clone, Summit hopped pale ale, Citra IPA

Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brewing Classic Styles has become my "go to" book.

Just drink it!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
ImperialStout
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I borrowed 80 Classic Brews and discovered most, if not all recipes are written for extract. Some negative reviews said the same things, the AG conversion recipe was not accurate and neither were the hops and yeast selection for the style. I don't know. It makes me wonder if several people say the same thing. On the other hand the overall rating is positive and two guys from a brew club I just joined recommended it so bought it. Also bought the Scotch Ale, Barley Wine and IPA books from the Classic Beer Style series. Didn't buy the Stout book as it got bad reviews, too technical and chemistry formula driven. I have read "How To Brew" by Palmer and "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels so figure with all these resources, and this web site, a bad beer can only be attributed to operator error.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
ImperialStout
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Deleted by me. Didn't see I already replied.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialStout View Post
I borrowed 80 Classic Brews and discovered most, if not all recipes are written for extract. Some negative reviews said the same things, the AG conversion recipe was not accurate and neither were the hops and yeast selection for the style. I don't know. It makes me wonder if several people say the same thing. On the other hand the overall rating is positive and two guys from a brew club I just joined recommended it so bought it. Also bought the Scotch Ale, Barley Wine and IPA books from the Classic Beer Style series. Didn't buy the Stout book as it got bad reviews, too technical and chemistry formula driven. I have read "How To Brew" by Palmer and "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels so figure with all these resources, and this web site, a bad beer can only be attributed to operator error.
BCS is certainly written towards extract brewers but the all-grain conversions are accurate IMO. Jamil Z is an all grain brewer and those are the same recipes he has used to win numerous competitions. All my ribbons, except one or two, are recipes straight out of BCS. A few of his recipes will deviate slightly from BJCP guidelines, but he usually will explain why in his synopsis for that recipe.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #17
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post

BCS is certainly written towards extract brewers but the all-grain conversions are accurate IMO. Jamil Z is an all grain brewer and those are the same recipes he has used to win numerous competitions. All my ribbons, except one or two, are recipes straight out of BCS. A few of his recipes will deviate slightly from BJCP guidelines, but he usually will explain why in his synopsis for that recipe.
Just got the book. I like it. Recipes and are based on styles. A good reference book. Just brewed a wee-heavy based on it.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Excellent, I'm glad you like it! I made the Scottish 70 schilling last fall and it took an honorable mention in it's category in a local competition. My favorites out of there are the Kolsch, which is a repeat brew for me, and his Vienna Lager. Those two are definitely my favorites. The Belgian Pale Ale recipe is also another favorite. I wonder if I can find a way to have Jamil autograph my thumb worn copy....that would be quite amazing.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I'm partial to "Extreme Brewing" by Randy Mosher myself. I consider Randy to be the Kung-fu master of homebrewing.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Regarding BCS, I'm pretty sure that I've heard Jamil say that he started with AG recipes and converted them to extract because the publisher felt they would reach a larger audience.

BCS is my goto when formulating recipes.

Quick Reply