Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Looking to brew all Grain for the first time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
BayviewBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Looking to brew all Grain for the first time

Okay so I am looking to go all grain for the first time. I have just finished readinf how to brew and the complete joy of home brewing. But here my problem I am not sure where to start. I want to brew a hot pepper and honey wheat beer. But my problem is I am not sure which peppers or how much honey I should used. I don't I want the heat from of the peppers to be overwhelming. I could really use some suggestions on this. Issue from folks who have brewed with hot peppers in the Past . Thank you for all suggestions and tips.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My suggestion; start with something simple. You don't want to haze your brew day worrying about honey or peppers. All grain takes more attention to detail and focus, especially if its your first time. Start with a pale ale, IPA, stout, brown ale, etc. It doesn't sound flashy, but it will help you get your process down.

If you want to tweak something with flavors make a 1-2 gallon extract batch and test a variety of additions. Would be a shame to mess up what could have been a fine beer with flavor additions. Cheers!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1153 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 1340

I second keeping things simple the first time out. Starting with a simple SMaSH (single malt, single hop) beer just to get a feel for the process is a good way to get into things.

If you are dead set on a pepper beer, I have heard that red hot peppers are better for "dry-peppering" with than green ones like jalapenos. Green peppers are reported to give an unpleasant vegetal aroma. If you do a pepper beer, soak the peppers in vodka first overnight to kill any wild yeast and let it soak in secondary tasting daily for desired heat. For a honey wheat, you will probably get more honey flavor using around .5lb of honey malt than actual honey. My Honey Porter used about 1.5lb of honey at flame out and there is barely any honey aroma or flavor.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinHooligan
I second keeping things simple the first time out. Starting with a simple SMaSH (single malt, single hop) beer just to get a feel for the process is a good way to get into things.

If you are dead set on a pepper beer, I have heard that red hot peppers are better for "dry-peppering" with than green ones like jalapenos. Green peppers are reported to give an unpleasant vegetal aroma. If you do a pepper beer, soak the peppers in vodka first overnight to kill any wild yeast and let it soak in secondary tasting daily for desired heat. For a honey wheat, you will probably get more honey flavor using around .5lb of honey malt than actual honey. My Honey Porter used about 1.5lb of honey at flame out and there is barely any honey aroma or flavor.
Definitely keep it simple. I brewed the Founders Breakfast Stout clone for my first all grain batch and it was definitely a challenge. Knowing what I know now, I'd go with a simple 2 grain recipe (like a pale ale). It just makes your brew day more enjoyable when you're still learning.

Just drink it!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
BayviewBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you everybody for your input. The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to go with something simple like a pale ale or a porter.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Before you start you need to know that your pale ale will be quite drinkable in about 6 weeks but your porter needs double that to let the flavors meld and the beer mature. Don't judge the quality of your brew in too short of a time. You need to be aware that as the level of alcohol in the beer goes up it takes longer to mature and the same holds for the darkness of the beer.

Quick Reply