New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > a little pissed....Airlock Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
JRPVR6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default a little pissed....Airlock Issue

I brewed 2 batches yesterday. one Is an American Amber, one is a double IPA. I used starters for each wyeast 1272 and 1056 pack respectively. and aereate with 02...So today after work I check on them; I put a blowoff on the IPA and it was coming along nicely. Now the Amber ale had about 3/4 inch of yeast on top but the 3 piece airlock was not bubbling. I just left it thinking its probably fine....Checked it at 10 pm tonight..Same thing. I figured out the Airlock lid holes were too small and were not allowing enough airflow for the airlock to function properly. I fixed the problem, but Im wondering if this is going to have an adverse affect on my fermentation. Theres still only about 3/4 inch of krausen on top. please lemme know what you guys think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Zen_Brew
Zensunni Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No. Not gonna have an effect. There will have been a bit more co2 disolved in your wort as it fermented, but not that much. It's not like you had it in a sealed pressure chamber. Eventually the co2 would have built up and blew your airlock off, or at least the airlock lid, so that would have been an effect, but sounds like you caught it and fixed it.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #3
ChillyP
Recipes 

Yeah, no sweat. I know peeps that open ferment without any problem.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
hbomb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's no big deal. You could have probably left it off all together and likely would't have a problem, since all the co2 is pushing the nasties out rather than sucking them.

Quick Reply