Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "lite" beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
FireBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper79 View Post
hey guys i just finished my first all grain and loved it but my friends all think its to bitter. one even said it tasted like a tree. Is there a recipe for a "lite" beer like a dudweiser or something that i can make just to keep the friends happy?
What kind of beer was it? It's probably better use of your time and effort to figure out why it was so bitter. Could they be describing astringency? If so, it doesn't matter what kind of beer you brew and brewing a light lager will only make the flaw more apparent and frustrate you.

If it is just hop bitterness, save it for people that'll appreciate it and make some Kölsch for your BMC friends.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brew up a big ol' IPA or something you'll like. Invite your friends over. Hand them cans of bud light in hello kitty koozies. Enjoy your beer.

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buy them a case of Buttwiper and SLOWLY add 1 bottle of homebrew (any style).

This will miraculously turn water into beer!

Can I get an AMEN?!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My standard response to the question,

Can you make something like Bud, Miller or Coors? is.

"Why in God's name would I want to try and make a style of beer that you can go to any supermarket or C-store in America and buy?"

Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

75% Eff.

5# Pilsner Malt
5# 2 Row

1 oz cascade at 60 min

No aroma additions

San Fran Lager Yeast WLP810

O.g. 1.055

F.G. 1.017

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #16
fishops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Pick up a can of Cooper's Lager and simply dissolve the syrup in the can with 2 pounds of corn sugar. Sprinkle the dry yeast on top, stir and ferment.

You can make 6 gallons of decent BMC clone in 10 minutes. Why struggle to make a lite beer using all grain? Make fantastic beers using all grain and make a Cooper's kit for the friends. Don't buy any other brand of canned kit. Cooper's is the only canned kit manufacturer that is an actual brewery.

The Cooper's kits turn out well when you need a batch in a hurry to feed your friends so they won't have to "choke down" the most wonderful IPA you have ever tasted.

Forrest
What total snobbery. Just because your friends like BMC macro junk doesn't mean they are hopelessly irredeemable if they turn their nose up at your brutal dry hopped double IIPA. I certainly didn't get into brewing to make lazy, tasteless beer out of cans.

Skip the crappy pre-hopped extract kits altogether and brew a nice, complex, malty session mild, english pale ale, kolsch, stout or any of the hundreds of other accessible, easy to drink styles.

Try EdWort's famous haus pale ale recipe. I have yet to see anyone turn their nose up at it, no matter how uneducated their palates.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #17
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You've obviously never met my wife.

But then she hates all beer, and most kinds of alcohol.

I think that, while I'm anxiously waiting for 19 days from now when I can crack open my first bottle of Ed's Haus Ale, the 30+ IBUs in there may not make it accessible to someone who doesn't at least have a mild appreciation of hops. I know when I started getting into beer, even a pale ale was too bitter for me. I've since gotten more acclimated to alpha acids

I agree that a maltier beer may be the way to go. Do they like Killians, or anything like that? I know some people have a thing against 'dark beer'...

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 06-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #18
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishops View Post
What total snobbery. Just because your friends like BMC macro junk doesn't mean they are hopelessly irredeemable if they turn their nose up at your brutal dry hopped double IIPA. I certainly didn't get into brewing to make lazy, tasteless beer out of cans.

Skip the crappy pre-hopped extract kits altogether and brew a nice, complex, malty session mild, english pale ale, kolsch, stout or any of the hundreds of other accessible, easy to drink styles.

Try EdWort's famous haus pale ale recipe. I have yet to see anyone turn their nose up at it, no matter how uneducated their palates.
The O.P. asked for something of a light lager. Not a mild not a kolsch or a stout. Why cant we help him find what hes looking for or not help him at all. IMO Ed Worts Haus is my fav homebrew but he didn't ask for a hoppy Pale ale.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have tasty homebrew available, if you want BMC, bring it with you, and take whats left when you leave!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

One of the newer editions of BYO has a recipe for a beer named "Pours Lite". I don't know if this is a true light beer clone, but it looks like a good crossover beer for BMC drinkers. If interested, PM me and I'll transcribe the recipe (when I get home from work).

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply