Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Liquid Smack Pack

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
cygnus128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
have you ever done it like that? it's a mess. to try and to add the DME into that small flask opening, that crap get's every where . the steam from inside the flask makes all the DME cake to the inside wall and lip of the flask (plus the measuring cup!). half ends up on the stove top or stuck to the the flask. it's just easier to use a stainless pot, then use a funnel to get it into the flask. i learned after the first time
plus, when you add DME to BOILING WATER = major boil-over and stove top mess.......i learned that too!
Hehe, thanks. Getting a flask in a few days...gona start doing starters. You saved me a big mess .
__________________
cygnus128 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus128
Hehe, thanks. Getting a flask in a few days...gona start doing starters. You saved me a big mess .
hey, i'm all about saving people grief!
i got my starter kit from Northern Brewer, and have followed their instructions with great results. you'll dig using the flask set-up.
__________________

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 AM   #13
Driftwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
cool stuff hu? nice to have the ferment start so quick. it'll really improve your brews. you'll be glad you did it......
keep us posted.

How does it improve your brews? Doesn't it just speed up fermentation? Or does it have some other effects?
__________________
Driftwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #14
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
How does it improve your brews? Doesn't it just speed up fermentation? Or does it have some other effects?
i got this off www.whitelabs.com:
"One of the main sources of contamination in a brewery is the pitching yeast. So in order to out-compete other organisms, large quantities of yeast must be pitched. When propagated by a professional yeast laboratory, the yeast is grown under sterile conditions, sterileoxygen and special nutrients are used to improve cell construction and performance. This does not occur in a brewery, so numbers they use to "pitch" take into account the inadequacy of their brewers yeast. The yeast is also unhealthy due to prolonged growth without oxygen and nutrients. In addition, brewers yeast will always contain some contaminants that need to be out-grown, and 1 million cells per ml per degree Plato has been found to be the best marriage of high pitching rates and no negative flavor effects (Higher pitching rates can lead to unhealthy yeast and a "yeasty" off bite). Liquid yeast grown by a professional laboratory should have no contaminants, so out competing contaminants found in the pitching yeast is not a concern.

One thing that contributes to flavor contribution in beer is yeast growth. If less yeast is pitched into beer, more yeast growth takes place, so more flavor compounds such as esters are produced. Depending on the amount produced, this is how pitching rates can have a direct effect on flavor profile. If 5 to 10 billion cells are pitched into wort, this definitely has a negative flavor impact in terms of higher ester levels and potential for bacterial contamination. But does a pint starter worth of yeast (30-50 billion cells) pitched into beer taste different then 2 liters worth of yeast (250 billion cells)? Sounds like more homebrew has to be made to get to the bottom of this! Your feedback is appreciated."

did that help?
__________________

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 02:16 PM   #15
Janx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Janx's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,688
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Hey that's a fantastic and concise explanation to a question that gets asked here a lot. Maybe a FAQ answer?

__________________
Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit
No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit
For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit
Janx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #16
cygnus128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
How does it improve your brews? Doesn't it just speed up fermentation? Or does it have some other effects?
Just to expand on what has already been said a bit. No matter how careful you are there will always be some bacteria and wild yeast in your beer. There is no way to avoid it. A good fast start will allow the good yeast to take care of most of your fermentables before any bacteria/wild yeast can get a foothold.
__________________
cygnus128 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
Driftwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux

One thing that contributes to flavor contribution in beer is yeast growth. If less yeast is pitched into beer, more yeast growth takes place, so more flavor compounds such as esters are produced. Depending on the amount produced, this is how pitching rates can have a direct effect on flavor profile. If 5 to 10 billion cells are pitched into wort, this definitely has a negative flavor impact in terms of higher ester levels and potential for bacterial contamination. But does a pint starter worth of yeast (30-50 billion cells) pitched into beer taste different then 2 liters worth of yeast (250 billion cells)? Sounds like more homebrew has to be made to get to the bottom of this! Your feedback is appreciated."

did that help?
Interesting and very helpful. But here's a question:

They say that excessive yeast growth will produce more flavor compounds... well, wouldn't you produce those anyway with a starter? I mean, you either pitch without a starter and get all this yeast growth in the fermenter (producing esters,etc...) or you make a starter, and you get lots of inital yeast growth in your starter, but also producing esters,etc... so when you dump your starter into the fermenter, all the esters go with it anyway?

So as far as this benefit to starters goes, I don't see the difference...
__________________
Driftwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #18
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Williamsburg, Va
Posts: 337
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
...In addition, brewers yeast will always contain some contaminants that need to be out-grown, and 1 million cells per ml per degree Plato has been found to be the best marriage of high pitching rates and no negative flavor effects (Higher pitching rates can lead to unhealthy yeast and a "yeasty" off bite)....

So....my 5 gallon batch of 1.052 beer (~13 Plato) needs ...[lots of math here]....about 250 million cells. The Wyeast smack pack claims 1 billion cells. Even if they're 50% off, its still more than double the "best marriage" rate. So why would I ever want a starter? Did I miscalculate here or am I missing something?
__________________
vtfan99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
cygnus128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
Interesting and very helpful. But here's a question:

They say that excessive yeast growth will produce more flavor compounds... well, wouldn't you produce those anyway with a starter? I mean, you either pitch without a starter and get all this yeast growth in the fermenter (producing esters,etc...) or you make a starter, and you get lots of inital yeast growth in your starter, but also producing esters,etc... so when you dump your starter into the fermenter, all the esters go with it anyway?

So as far as this benefit to starters goes, I don't see the difference...
You asked my question .
__________________
cygnus128 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #20
Driftwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfan99
So....my 5 gallon batch of 1.052 beer (~13 Plato) needs ...[lots of math here]....about 250 million cells. The Wyeast smack pack claims 1 billion cells. Even if they're 50% off, its still more than double the "best marriage" rate. So why would I ever want a starter? Did I miscalculate here or am I missing something?
Somewhere, you're off by a factor of 1000 it seems... I have no idea how to calculate this, but at this site (http://www.whitelabs.com/homebrew.html) they say a 12 Plato, 5 gal batch requires 240 BILLION cells...

So whats a Plato?
__________________
Driftwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long can I smack my smack pack Hilbert General Techniques 7 02-15-2009 09:23 PM
How do you smack a smack pack? Sumo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 30 12-05-2008 12:20 PM
Smack pack egovolo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 10-01-2008 01:21 AM
liquid yeast 'smack' pack activators Brakeman_Brewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 10-16-2007 09:45 PM
How to smack a smack pack... This shouldn't be this hard... Driftwood General Techniques 13 08-23-2005 05:20 PM