Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lifespan of Cooler Mash Tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
jimbus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Lifespan of Cooler Mash Tun?

I just made my first mash tun from a Coleman Xtreme 52qt and was wondering how long I can expect to get use out of it. I know these coolers are meant to hold cold, not hot and I have heard that a bit of warping can occur. Does the warping ever become a physical barrier to the functionality of the mash tun?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Mine's going on 2 years. Cooler is still fine but my braid is shot and needs replaced before my next brew.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The tun itself should last for several years (at least until the plastic starts cracking, which would allow the wort to leak into the insolation layer). The braid probably needs replacing once a year to every other year.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made a copper manifold, so I don't have the issue with the braid going bad, but I do know that the heat of the mash has warped the plastic on the outside of the cooler that I've been using for about a year and a half. I'd say the copper manifold was definitely a good investment.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Beerbeque
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Remember to keep your cooler MLT cracked open when not in use to avoid it getting a bad smell in it and periodically fill it with oxyclean solution, soak it overnight and it will sparkle almost like new.

Give us this day our liquid bread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Mine has been in use for 12 years and 380 batches. Same cooler, same braid, same tubing and valve. I clean it with Oxiclean every 3-5 years, whether it needs it or not!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

The warping, I'd suspect is more of an issue of adding water that's just too hot, rather that something that's going to happen inevitably. I've added plenty of boiling/near-boiling water to my cooler when I preheat it, and I've seen nothing. Been using it for probably three years, still just as good as when I first got it.

Besides, it was only ~$20 when I bought it, if I need to replace it at some point, not the end of the world.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6043 Times on 5284 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Mine has been in use for 12 years and 380 batches. Same cooler, same braid, same tubing and valve. I clean it with Oxiclean every 3-5 years, whether it needs it or not!
epic

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
The warping, I'd suspect is more of an issue of adding water that's just too hot, rather that something that's going to happen inevitably.
I wonder if heating the cooler gradually might help prevent warping. I'm putting together my all grain system, and what I plan to do is leave the water heating kettle and the coolers (MLT and HLT) hooked up to the pump as I heat the water. I have a toggle switch for the pump conveniently mounted, so as I heat the water, I can pump a couple of gallons into the cooler, then let it drain back under gravity into the kettle, then pump some more even warmer water and let it drain, etc., thus heating my cooler more gradually rather than just dumping really hot water into a cold cooler. I know the drain back works, because I've tried it with cold water, but haven't tried a hot water test yet. Anyone tried something like this?

Old 08-28-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I have a 5 and a 10 gallon cooler setup that I've had for at least 6 years with no modifications (except a braided line in each). The 5 has warped a tad over the years, but it won't compromise the integrity. The 10 is just fine.

Quick Reply