Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > LHBS Grain Crush & Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
headfullahops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default LHBS Grain Crush & Efficiency

I just finished up my second all-grain batch after brewing extract for a couple of years, moving to full-wort boils in there somewhere, and then mini-mashing for a year or so. The mini-mash procedures were great for getting my thought process and procedures ready for the move up to all-grain. I have used Beer Tools Pro software (thanks Bobby M. for the YouTube video tutorials!) since before I started mini-mashing and have all my equipment calibrated so I have been accurately hitting volumes and mash temps for a while now. I got myself a 10 gallon beverage cooler and fittings from Lowe's that I converted with a bazooka screen, an 11 gallon SS boil kettle to which I installed a weldless spigot, and a refractometer. I already had a 9 gallon SS kettle with weldless spigot that I now use as a strike water HLT, a 4 gallon kettle that I use as an HLT on my stovetop for sparge water, an SP-50 tall LP burner stand, a CF chiller, and the other usual accessories.

I have been disappointed by my mash efficiency since the move to all-grain, though and I'm wondering if the grain crush from my LHBS is the culprit. Like I said, I have done two all-grain batches; both single infusion (154˚ for approx 60 mins), double batch sparge with temps and volumes calculated by BTP, and iodine conversion tests. On the first batch, I didn't have my act together as well as I thought. I nailed my mash temp but, I ended up sparging with too much water and leaving the extra gallon or so of runoff out of the kettle. That batch ended up with 60% brewhouse efficiency (I didn't take a pre-boil gravity reading). The batch I did yesterday, I nailed my temps and volumes; mashed at 154˚, collected 7.25 gallons in the kettle, boiled for an hour, chilled, collected 5.5 gallons in the fermentor, pitched, yada yada. This batch ended up with a 65.25% brewhouse efficiency. Here's the stats:

Amber Ale
Target OG: 1.054 (13.3˚p) calculated at 70% mash efficiency
Actual OG: 1.050 (12.4˚p) post-chill/pre-pitch

Target Pre-Boil SG: 1.044 (11˚p) calculated at 7.25 gallons in kettle
Actual Pre-Boil SG: 1.039 (9.7˚p) collected 7.25 gallons in kettle

Sorry to go all War & Peace on this post but, I figured folks would be asking a bunch of questions about equipment and procedure. Let me know what you think or if there are any other questions about my calculations and procedures. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You have a decent amount of equipment,so my suggestion would be to add one more item, a grain mill, I know alot of people talk smack about the barley crusher grain mill, but since getting one, I have consistently had BHE of 79-80%, and it iis one of the least expensive mills that comes complete with a hopper and base.

It will be one of thebest $150 you will spend.

My LHBS crush is pretty crappy, so I wouln't be surprised if your LHBS is similar to mine.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
headfullahops
Recipes 

Just for the sake of full disclosure, here's the amber ale recipe I brewed yesterday:

Volumes:
Pre-Boil - 7.25 Gal
Post-Boil - 6 Gal
Fermentor - 5.25 Gal

Grain Bill (calculated at 70% efficiency for target volumes)
11 lb 2-Row Brewer's Malt
0.75 lb Belgian Aromatic Malt
0.5 lb Caramel 20L Malt
0.5 lb Caramel 40L Malt
0.5 lb Caramel 60L Malt

Single infusion @ 154˚F and double batch sparge

60 mins - 14g Columbus @ 14.2% AA
10 mins - 1 Whirlfloc tab
Flameout - 28g Ahtanum @ 5.2% AA

Yeast - WYeast 1272 American Ale II (I guess they call it "All-American Ale" now)

Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
headfullahops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
You have a decent amount of equipment,so my suggestion would be to add one more item, a grain mill, I know alot of people talk smack about the barley crusher grain mill, but since getting one, I have consistently had BHE of 79-80%.

It will be one of thebest $150 you will spend.
I know I should get one. Even if just for the fact that I could buy and store grain in 50/55 lb quantity for cheaper. I would like to have control of my crush, though. The bummer is, I just bought the cooler and kettle. It might be a minute before I can justify another purchase to SWMBO. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
headfullahops
Recipes 

Not if, but when I get a mill, what is a good starting point as far as roller gap?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by headfullahops View Post
Not if, but when I get a mill, what is a good starting point as far as roller gap?
If you get a Barley Crusher, the default .39 is actually decent, nice amount of flour, but keeps the husks intact. Otherwise, .39 would be a good starting point, I know some people prefer their crush even finer, but I would be worried about stuck sparges when going too fine.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
headfullahops
Recipes 

How do you measure the gap? Is there an indicator on the mill?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I first got my Barley Crusher, my friend encouraged me to tighten it down a bit from the factory setting (lets call it moving the notch from 12 o'clock to 11 o'clock. I averaged 85% efficiency using a fly sparge. However, I did see about 4 stuck sparges over 20 batches. As far as I am concerned, 1 stuck sparge is too many, because it can really ruin brewday.

I have come to understand it that you can get away with a bit tighter of a crush when batch sparging; although I do not really understand this logic. I strongly suggest leaving the Barley Crusher at factory setting (the notch at 12 o'clock). I think it is a much nicer crush, I have not had a problem during the sparge, and it only costed me about 5 points of efficiency (85%->80%). It is a small price to pay for a grain bed that is suited much better for lautering, and it puts my mind at ease on brewday.

Joe

Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
headfullahops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1 View Post
I have come to understand it that you can get away with a bit tighter of a crush when batch sparging; although I do not really understand this logic. I strongly suggest leaving the Barley Crusher at factory setting (the notch at 12 o'clock). I think it is a much nicer crush, I have not had a problem during the sparge, and it only costed me about 5 points of efficiency (85%->80%). It is a small price to pay for a grain bed that is suited much better for lautering, and it puts my mind at ease on brewday.

Joe
Well, I wouldn't haggle over 5% efficiency discrepancy either if I was up in the 80's. The more I read here in HBT, the more I feel the need to get a mill and crush my own.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
RedHouse
Recipes 

Crankandstein model 2S with base and hopper was $126 delivered to my door. The default gap is .45, and I got 77-81% on my last few brews. I decided to get the Crankandstein because the base is plywood, not MDF. Money well spent.....just need to get in on a group buy now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Quick Reply