Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lets talk technique to brew the perfect Light American Lager.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
eriktlupus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

feed corn is a low sugar crop iirc. higher in protien than sweet corn

ive been down this path before, i like about 6-7# pilsener malt with 2# ea of flaked rice and corn since they are already cooked. back it with cascade hops for bitter and either hallertau or northern brewer for flavor/aroma additions.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think the best way to make a great American Lager is to keep the grain bill quite simple, around 60/40 6-row/rice or corn. Pitch enough yeast and ferment cold. But the most important part that a lot of people ignore is filtering. This is not just to take out the yeast bite, it also strips small amounts of flavor and aroma that will make it taste more to style.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Cluster is a classic old school American hop, used fairly heavy in the BMC beers. I recently used it in a CAP and I'm looking forward to this beer.

In my Std. American lager I use equal parts 6-row and flaked corn (1.5 lbs ea.) and then enough Pilsner malt to hit my target OG. (1.046). I go decidedly un-American with my hops using Sorachi Ace for bittering and EKG for flavor and the tiniest smidge of both (< 1/4 oz. total) for aroma.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I think the best way to make a great American Lager is to keep the grain bill quite simple, around 60/40 6-row/rice or corn. Pitch enough yeast and ferment cold. But the most important part that a lot of people ignore is filtering. This is not just to take out the yeast bite, it also strips small amounts of flavor and aroma that will make it taste more to style.
I would always filter... I filter my cream ale too. 1 micron seems to remove most of the yeast but not any body, so I'm going to add a .5 micron second filtration which should add a brilliant polish and strip out some of the longer dextrine chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I would always filter... I filter my cream ale too. 1 micron seems to remove most of the yeast but not any body, so I'm going to add a .5 micron second filtration which should add a brilliant polish and strip out some of the longer dextrine chains.
I just go straight for the .5 micron without any other filtration. If it's been lagering for a bit there won't be enough yeast to clog it, but if you go straight from the primary you might need to do a 5 micron prefilter or something.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I saw earlier in the thread the mention of minute rice to avoid the need of preboiling the grain. Would instant polenta be a viable, no-boil substitute for corn?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

What about brewing it 'bigger' than needed and watering it down post-fermentation? I've read that at least one of the BMC breweries do that.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
ewbish
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I've myself a bug to brew what's touted to be the "most difficult beer to brew well". Lately, I have been getting some wonderful compliments from some respectable people in my beer circle (pro brewers, judges, EAC's) and am thinking it's time to test my metal.

I have no intention to clone any commercialized brands here and the guidelines aren't set to stone but, the more challenging to get right the better.

So,

Water is an big issue for sure but I'd rather start in with raw materials and tweak from there. This I expect means;

- 6 Row Malt in minimal prortions approaching the limits of diastatic power.
- Corn or Rice in large proportions.
- Noble Hops (and very little of them).

IIRC, with the 6 Row you can go as low as 20% (I can research) does this sound right?

I know the rice would have to be cooked first to gelatinize and I know that Flaked Maize could be used as the corn source but, what about raw or canned (not creamed) corn? What about sweet corn?

Anyone want to play with me on this topic?
Might be fun to try and do it the 'ol fashion way. Mash your base grains and collect the wort. Then take fresh uncooked corn cob, pull the husks and strings off, use a knife to cut the corn kernels off the cob. Put them in a strainer and mash/pulp 'em into your boil pan. Transfer your wort from your base grains to the boil pan. Leave the strainer with the pulp in for the entire boil, and do your normal boil procedure, and transfer it to the primary fermenter. Transfer the strainer of pulp to the primary as well, and leave it in for the entire primary fermentation. After primary fermenation completes.....squeeze it out and toss it, then rack to secondary.

Kind of combines the method of making corn wine, old fashioned corn beer, and modern methods all together.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Why use flaked corn? or flaked rice for that matter? cereal mashes are easy and take almost no time. I just brewed up an ESB last weekend that used corn, and I just cereal mashed up some corn meal. Boil it up with some water, and keep adding water as it boils to make sure it does not scorch. Next time I'm just going to head down to the local tortilla factory and get some masa from them, should work great.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to take this beer camping on Memorial Day weekend for the BMC lovers. It tasted pretty good going into the keg, but that was almost a month ago. I think it will please the masses.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply