Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Let's Talk Pilsner Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Let's Talk Pilsner Malt

I am planning on making a DFH 90 minute IIPA clone in a few weeks and the recipe calls for 16ish pounds of pilsner malt. I don't have a problem using plisner malt but being new to all grain I have tended to shy away from it for a couple reason (see bellow).

So, I thought I would start this thread to see what other, more experienced people have to say about pilsner malt.

Things I am not too clear on:
1. Is all pilsner malt under (or moderately) modified? According to HTB, moderately modified malts need a protein rest. Do you (always) do a protein rest when using pilsner malt? I was listen to the Jamil Show on TBN and it seems that he has made beer with 90% pilsner (Durst) and has done a single infusion.

2. How big an issue is DMS? I did a mini mash Kolsch (4lbs pilsner malt) and when the beer was very green I could taste what might be DMS. A friend even described the beer as "taste very fresh, like fresh corn" she liked it, not like it was over powering. Could some hops give this taste? I also made a hefeweizen with 40% pilsner and could taste a very similar taste at bottling, now carbed I can't. Have you had issues with DMS? How fast do you need to cool to prevent DMS formation?

These things have lead me to want to just use domestic 2-row or MO, but I want to maker this clone and I am sure this issue will come up again in the future.

Also, does anyone know what brand pilsner malt they sell at AHS?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm pretty sure any domestic pils malt you buy is going to be fully modified. Continental pils malts, you might have to be more leery of. I've always done a 90 minute boil with pils, and I'm not sure I've ever been able to pick out the flavor of DMS specifically.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Well I e-mailed AHS. They sell Weyermann pilsner malt. It is fully modified, no need for a protein rest. Just thought I would include this for the record.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i think the pils malt of today is pretty much modified, and you can treat it like pale malt(two row). if you're gonna use crystal malts, i'd just use pale ale malt, and no bother

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use Dingeman's Pils a lot and couldn't be happier with the results

Old 07-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygoat
i think the pils malt of today is pretty much modified, and you can treat it like pale malt(two row). if you're gonna use crystal malts, i'd just use pale ale malt, and no bother
So my hefe recipe calls for 4 lbs pilsner and 6lbs wheat and .5 lbs caramel 10L. I think I might just go with 2-row and wheat next time. I can taste a bit of what I would describe as week corn in it, but now at 2+ weeks in the bottle I can't really taste it any more.

Maybe I should boil for 90 minutes with the pilsner malt?

Quick Reply