Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Let's talk mash analysis!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #11
Dr Malt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Sonvolt;

Sir Sudster beat me to the response, but I would have said what he said. The first place to go to improve efficiency is your process parameters. Mash conditions such as pH, temperatures, mash volumes, etc have a great effect on efficiencies as well as lautering equipment and conditions. Another factor could be the malt you are use to using versus the Briess Pilsen malt. If you have been using an imported malt from Europe and have started brewing with domestic 2 row malts, you will see a change in the final gravities and efficiency. The reason for this is the malt extract of European malts is a bit higher than domestic malts as it has to do with barley varieties and growing conditions. US/Canadian 2 row varieites of malts give fine grind (dry basis) extracts (read ideal extracts) of 80 - 80.5%. European malts give extracts in the 80.5 - 83%. This will give you more extract (final gravity) per pound or ounce of malt used. If you use the a domestic base malt in a recipe and then switch to a European malt with the same quantities, you may see an increase of final gravity of 2 - 3 Plato (10 gravity units).

I hope this helps.

Dr Malt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
runhard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

First, thank you to all of those who are so well educated in the varied and numerous areas associated with brewing. From watching Yuri fabricate some pretty amazing equipment with his TIG and mill to thinking I understand, to re-reading articles you guys reference to truly understanding now after doing some more reading about malts, mash chemistry, and more. I look at this as a hobby that allows for a continuing education. you guys rock I salute your knowledge and hope to soon be as well educated in all things brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply