Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Let's Partyyyy(gyle) that is!!!! Pumpkin Porter AND Ale from one mash!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #81
sully
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it has got me re inspired to brew again like the day one feeling. i just want to brew and learn and also drink 2 styles. ill have to try your pumpkin ale next fall. i think im gonna fork out membership soon i want in on all those great swaps and epic brew challenges, some of the 999 recipes are just insane.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #82
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
oohh...maybe I'll do this at Yooper's brewcamp this summer...THat way I'll have help..and I can do this as a demo....

WoW!
Yoop has a brewcamp..... FTW, how do I get in on this?!?!?!!?!?!?

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #83
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

OH MY GOD...I just found a bottle of this in one of my cubby holes beer storage places in my loft.

It is amazing!!!!!!!

I can't believe how great this beer is. It's what every pumpkin beer I ever tried and was disapointed with should be. It has a quarter inch light caramel/tan head, lots of lacing on the glass. It has a surprising definite pumpkin and spice taste, cut with a dark caramel/molasses toffee note to it. It has a pronounced bitterness, not from hops but a roasty coffee bite to it. It's got no hop aroma, but instead has a burnt sugar chocolate and coffee smell.

All in all this is one of the best beers I ever made. I really wish I had more of this. I guess I may have to brew this in the late summer for fall.

I'm blown away.

Dayum!!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #84
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
OH MY GOD...I just found a bottle of this in one of my cubby holes beer storage places in my loft.

It is amazing!!!!!!!

I can't believe how great this beer is. It's what every pumpkin beer I ever tried and was disapointed with should be. It has a quarter inch light caramel/tan head, lots of lacing on the glass. It has a surprising definite pumpkin and spice taste, cut with a dark caramel/molasses toffee note to it. It has a pronounced bitterness, not from hops but a roasty coffee bite to it. It's got no hop aroma, but instead has a burnt sugar chocolate and coffee smell.

All in all this is one of the best beers I ever made. I really wish I had more of this. I guess I may have to brew this in the late summer for fall.

I'm blown away.

Dayum!!!!!
Awesome!!! I wouldn't say pumpkin beer is my top favorite but it is top 3 and something I look forward to all year.

What did you like better, the ale or the porter? I'm just getting into AG and don't know if I want to mess around with partigyle brewing. I did something similar with extract by making a golden ale and turning half of that into blueberry but with an extract, I just took half of the golden ale and added blueberry to it. I don't know how easy it is for AG.

So long story short, I would probably try to convert your recipe into either all porter or all ale.

I don't know if they distribute nationally but have you had Post Road Pumpkin Ale? I had dinner at their brew pub in Maine. When you order a pint of it, they coat the rim with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. My gf isn't a huge beer lover and she loved that beer.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 05-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #85
Revvy

Recipes 

I think originally I liked the ale. But now with mellowing I LOOOOOVE the porter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #86
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I think originally I liked the ale. But now with mellowing I LOOOOOVE the porter.
Wow...I can't believe you have some of this kicking around still. That's crazy. Good thing you documented everything so you can repeat it

Old 07-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #87
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

Pumpkin Porter
(First Runnings)

Calculated as 60% of the original grainbill

2.5 gallon batch

(equivalent to)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 6.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.97 %
11.8 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
11.8 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
3.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
3.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
3.9 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %

(Hops)
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU

(Pumpkin/Spices)
0.25 tsp Ground Allspice (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ground Ginger (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ground Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Ground Cinnamon (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
3.75 lb Canned Pumpkin (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Est Original Gravity: 1.081 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.90 %
Bitterness: 24.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 30.1 SRM
hey revvy..
I'm thinking of trying a batch of your pumpkin porter and was hoping for a quick bit of guidance.

I don't want to do a partigyle... Just the porter.

So, what I'm thinking, is to take your "estimate" recipe, and scale to my batch size.
My question...Is this "estimate" based off 60% efficiency?

If so, I'd have to scale for batch size and efficiency...correct?

Also, looking back do you have any things you would change?

Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #88
Revvy

Recipes 

No the recipe in total was written with a base of 75% efficiency which is what my Beersmith is set for.

The 60% above comes from the idea that in all grain your first runnings contribute 60% to the overall OG of your beer, and second runnings provide 40%.

The only difference is that in pratyguilling we don't combine runnings, we make two beers from them.

So what I did originally was create a recipe and then for the break down recipes just calculated what a grain bill based on 60% and 40% would be.

So that recipe above is really an "as is" recipe for a 2.5 gallon batch of just the porter. Treat that like any other recipe nd if you are making a 5 gallon batch double it.

I don't think there's anything I would change, I can't recall specifics but it was a pretty tasty recipe.

Best of luck. Keep me posted.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #89
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
No the recipe in total was written with a base of 75% efficiency which is what my Beersmith is set for.

The 60% above comes from the idea that in all grain your first runnings contribute 60% to the overall OG of your beer, and second runnings provide 40%.

The only difference is that in pratyguilling we don't combine runnings, we make two beers from them.

So what I did originally was create a recipe and then for the break down recipes just calculated what a grain bill based on 60% and 40% would be.

So that recipe above is really an "as is" recipe for a 2.5 gallon batch of just the porter. Treat that like any other recipe nd if you are making a 5 gallon batch double it.

I don't think there's anything I would change, I can't recall specifics but it was a pretty tasty recipe.

Best of luck. Keep me posted.
I'm somewhat familiar w partigyle...at least the general process. Recipe formulation is still not firmly established in my head...hence the confusion.

So if I use your 60% estimate grainbill with a sparge I'll get 100% of the original 75% efficiency?

Or, should I use the main base recipe--marked "original" in your post?

Thanks for the help!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #90
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HItransplant View Post
I'm somewhat familiar w partigyle...at least the general process. Recipe formulation is still not firmly established in my head...hence the confusion.

So if I use your 60% estimate grainbill with a sparge I'll get 100% of the original 75% efficiency?

Or, should I use the main base recipe--marked "original" in your post?

Thanks for the help!!
Yeah, you treat this recipe as a normal recipe.

Quick Reply