The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Let's Partyyyy(gyle) that is!!!! Pumpkin Porter AND Ale from one mash!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #41
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
The way I look at the parti gyle is that it is essentially a free beer. You get what comes out and it likely won't be to style, but who cares. It is free beer.
It does make a double batch at a very reasonable cost.

From what I understand, it is how they used to brew back in the day. The cost of larger kettles made more sense to them to make two smaller kettles, and this was the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I just feel like rambling today.
It's those girls in bikini's and high of 72 and low of 68 that's got your head all funny. You should just ditch, head up to Stone and drink there all day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #42
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
It does make a double batch at a very reasonable cost.

From what I understand, it is how they used to brew back in the day. The cost of larger kettles made more sense to them to make two smaller kettles, and this was the result.

Yep...Take a look at the history of Porters and you'll see how important partigyle was to the early brewer...also I believe the various Scottish "Shilling Beers" were the various runnings of the parti-gyle...as well as the "table beers" that children drank in lieu of water.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #43
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
...So now I have beer up the wazoo!!!!
I think your doing it wrong

Thanks for posting all of this, I am planning on doing a partigyle with the 9-9-9 barlywine as the first beer and a porter as the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo
I made a barley wine and then added some other grain to make a porter.
Would you care to share any details?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #44
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Thanks for posting all of this, I am planning on doing a partigyle with the 9-9-9 barlywine as the first beer and a porter as the second
Well, it isn't so much me posting this to teach anyone else anything...It was more like;

"HELP ME!!!!!!!!!"

But I'm glad other people are getting interested in try this ancient technique. I was surprised at the number of lurkers of it...But I was getting a little scared not to get many replies initially. But it looks like we've managed to cobble it together...now we hop and pumpkin these bad-boys and we'll be all set.

I probably wont be able to brew it til NEXT weekend though...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #45
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
It's those girls in bikini's and high of 72 and low of 68 that's got your head all funny. You should just ditch, head up to Stone and drink there all day.
I think it is like 80 outside right now and it is gross. In the cubed world that is my office it is nice and cool, though.

Stone is a pretty cool place to drink and all, but I've got a bar that is a 5 minute walk from my house called Hamilton's Tavern. 24 taps (all craft), hundreds of bottles, and I seem to have acquired the bartender's discount. I can't drink home from Stone, but itt sure is a pretty brewery.

Oh! And Alesmith is only 2 miles from my work, so that makes Friday afternoons fun too.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #46
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ahh...I've never been there, but I know where you are. The AFC half is coming up. ends right near your house.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #47
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Nah, I'm waiting 'till friday to head to Stone, show up the day the vertical epic is released
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #48
Revvy

Recipes 

What do you think of this for spices/hopping of the porter?

Now I calculated it based on the "Porter Recipe" Not the Partigyle base itself.

It puts it at 24.6 IBUs

.75 oz. East Kent Goldings (5.00 %AA) boiled 60
.25 oz. Fuggle (4.75 %AA) boiled 15 min.
3.75 pounds Canned Pumpkin (roasted @ 350 degrees for 30 min, added last 15 mins of boil)
1 teaspoons Cinnamon (last 15 mins of boil)
.25 teaspoons Ginger (last 15 mins of boil)
.25 teaspoons Nutmeg (last 15 mins of boil)
.25 teaspoons Allspice (last 15 mins of boil)

Anyone know how to calculate how much sugar/pound pumpkin is so I can calculate it's contribution to the OG?

Also, anyone have any idea how I can figure out how to make Beersmith allow me to make hop calculations on the 2nd runnings beer?

Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #49
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
Nah, I'm waiting 'till friday to head to Stone, show up the day the vertical epic is released
It is already out there! They released it on the 4th!!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #50
Revvy

Recipes 

I used the graivty shift to calculate up with the hopping amount...How's this look?

0.61 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.20 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU

(24.6 IBU's)

Now I guess I should reduce this as well?

0.25 tsp Ground Allspice (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ground Ginger (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ground Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Ground Cinnamon (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
3.75 lb Canned Pumpkin (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Quick Reply