Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Let's Partyyyy(gyle) that is!!!! Pumpkin Porter AND Ale from one mash!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
Bokonon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post

keep in mind that usually the second runnings that are created from a mash are quite weaker, and traditionally a "small beer" created from the second runnings were around 2-3% however, one would usually make a far greater volume of small beer than strong beer, so I suppose a long vigorous boil period would bring the OG up to perhaps a nice and complex mild. Perhaps an e-mail to the brewers at Anchor would be worth it, as they are about the only brewery I can think of off the top of my head that commercially makes a small beer in this way, using the second runnings from their barlywine, perhaps they can throw you a bone or lead you down the path better than I can.
I had always heard was the 2nd runnings always were about half the gravity. My results were similar to this, about 40% of the points in the 2nd vs the 1st.

There aren't any rules that say the 1st runnings are one beer and the 2nd another. You can take say 3 gal of the 1st runnings and 3 gal of the 2nd runnings for one beer and 2 gal of the 1st and 4 gal of the 2nd for a smaller beer. If you check your gravity of each collection and do the math it should be easy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Revvy,

You know I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff, but why not steep the grains from the first runnings for your porter, or the even crazier idea of blending some of your first runnings with your second beer for some gravity. You can calc that in beersmith (if you did the non-porter first).

Old 08-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
There aren't any rules that say the 1st runnings are one beer and the 2nd another.
I wasn't saying that was the rule, I was saying traditionally that's how it was done.

On another note I ran across this, which may be handy as well:
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/lib....2/mosher.html
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
Revvy,

You know I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff, but why not steep the grains from the first runnings for your porter, or the even crazier idea of blending some of your first runnings with your second beer for some gravity. You can calc that in beersmith (if you did the non-porter first).
Yeah, that's sort of looking like the conensus (at least I think so) that I'd steep the first runnings to acheive my "porter-ness."

Thanks!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post

On another note I ran across this, which may be handy as well:
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/lib....2/mosher.html
This looks like a great resource!!! Even though it does invlolve me having to do my own math...never one of my strong suits.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #16
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah, that's sort of looking like the conensus (at least I think so) that I'd steep the first runnings to acheive my "porter-ness."
Bah...Still recovering from being sick...mis-read the other posts.

Quote:
This looks like a great resource!!! Even though it does invlolve me having to do my own math...never one of my strong suits.
Make an excel worksheet.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Is there a way to extrapolate somehow what would be needed in the mashtun for the first runnings, in order for the second runnings to loosely match the numbers of my amber ale?

Here's what my "haus amber" looks like...

Quote:
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 16.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.01 %
2.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 24.99 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 38.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
Of course, I'm asking this not having totally read the Mosher article.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

I'm an idiot...the answer to my question is on the tables for the article...

In order for the second runnings to have an og of 1.054, the first runnings have to be 1.080 if using a 50/50 split, and for the SRMs of the Amber to be 16.4, the porter would be 39.4 srms....

Seems to me that with those two variables I could perhaps build the base recipe...unless I'm missing something here....

That would put the porter way into baltic porter range.

Last edited by Revvy; 08-04-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #19
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
In order for the second runnings to have an og of 1.054, the first runnings have to be 1.080 if using a 50/50 split, and for the SRMs of the Amber to be 16.4, the porter would be 39.4 srms....

Seems to me that with those two variables I could perhaps build the base recipe...unless I'm missing something here....
Sounds about right to me, just remember that your house amber's not going to come out quite the same, and there's bound to be a little bit of variation (good or bad) as this is a first try doing this. I'd love to see how this turns out.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #20
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

there is a good partygyle recipe in radical brewing by randy mosher, I would use that as my base and adjust as needed.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Quick Reply