Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Let's Partyyyy(gyle) that is!!!! Pumpkin Porter AND Ale from one mash!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #101
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by HItransplant View Post
mash = 152 ?
It's been 2 years, but my Beersmith says 158.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #102
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

It's been 2 years, but my Beersmith says 158.
Whew...that's high.

thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #103
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ok revvy...I took a stab at your pumpkin porter today.
Boy, that pumpkin is a bugger.

Things went pretty well (besides the huge mess) and the gravity sample tasted pretty darn good....here's hoping I nailed this on the first try.

Thanks again for all the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #104
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
The way I look at the parti gyle is that it is essentially a free beer. You get what comes out and it likely won't be to style, but who cares. It is free beer.

I hate to dig up this old thread, but I am attempting to plan a partigyle for next month, and I have a few questions.

Revvy says that you must plan to double the base recipe of the original 5 gallon (in Revvy's case, 2.5 gallon) beer. This equates, roughly, to a grain bill that costs twice as much as if you were only making the one beer. How is paying twice for two beers getting free beer?

I have done the math (I think I have, at least), extrapolated from the partigyle table from Mosher, and I come up with 15 pounds of base malt (A SMaSH with maris otter, but that is besides the point). But even if I mash thin, I can only get something along the lines of 4.7 gallons preboil. Not entirely sure how this is supposed to be a big enough wort to get up to the 1.100 OG I have calculated, even without adding water or a tiny bit of dilute sparge wort.

I supposed my real question is:

If I mean to brew two five gallon batches, should I plan around a ten gallon grain bill? And if yes, how on Earth would this have been cost effective for our old timey past brethren?

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #105
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Revvy says that you must plan to double the base recipe of the original 5 gallon (in Revvy's case, 2.5 gallon) beer. This equates, roughly, to a grain bill that costs twice as much as if you were only making the one beer. How is paying twice for two beers getting free beer?
You have to look at the full quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I made a barley wine and then added some other grain to make a porter. I also did an imperial stout 2nd runnings that turned into a roasty brown that was kind of awesome. The way I look at the parti gyle is that it is essentially a free beer.
If you're making a huge beer like a barleywine or RIS, then you're not sparging off anything close to all the sugars in the mash, because that would dilute the wort far more than you want. So in those cases, you are indeed getting free wort by doing a second runnings beer.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #106
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts

I am tentatively planning to brew 5.5g of the porter this coming weekend, in order for it to be well and truly ready by halloween.

Here's what I've come up with in brewtarget:

Pumpkin Porter - Robust Porter
================================================== ==============================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.811 gal
Boil Time: 90.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%%
Bitterness: 31.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 28 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================== ==============================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 10.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74%% 40 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72%% 120 L
Brown Malt (British Chocolate) Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 70%% 65 L
Munich Malt Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 80%% 9 L
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 60%% 350 L
Total grain: 14.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
East Kent Goldings 4.3%% 2.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 24.8
Fuggles 4.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 6.4

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Irish Moss Fining Boil 2.000 tsp 15.000 min
Canned Pumpkin Other Boil 5.000 lb 15.000 min
Allspice, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Ginger, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Nutmeg, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Cinnamon, ground Spice Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

I'm not sure about the quantity of pumpkin - I assume that one large can is what I'm going for? Or is it two? or what? Libbey canned pumpkin and canned pumpkin filling (w/ spices, etc) is available year round in the right grocery stores in Utah. We're deadly serious about pie around here.

Right now I have 1 large can of libbey pumpkin, but i can get more of small or large cans any time i like.

Edit: Having actually read the side of the damn can, I see that it holds 1 pound 13 ounces. I'm going to need a few more of these, aren't i?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #107
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

OK, did some more math, bothered to set up the mash in brewtarget, bought ingredients, here is what i am tentatively brewing sunday morning. If I'm smart enough to be heating up my strike water by like 8am.

(except that i ended up with 30L instead of 40L caramel, because that was what the LHBS had on the "American" shelf. The only import malt i am using in this brew is the brown malt (english))

Pumpkin Porter - Robust Porter
Batch Size: 5.407 gal
Boil Size: 6.718 gal
Boil Time: 90.000 min
Efficiency: 75%%
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%%
Bitterness: 25.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 28 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 8.750 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74%% 40 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72%% 120 L
Brown Malt (British Chocolate) Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 70%% 65 L
Munich Malt Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 80%% 9 L
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 60%% 350 L
Total grain: 13.250 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
East Kent Goldings 4.8%% 1.500 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 21.2
Fuggles 3.6%% 0.750 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.9

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Irish Moss Fining Boil 2.000 tsp 15.000 min
Canned Pumpkin Other Boil 5.437 lb 15.000 min
Allspice, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Ginger, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Nutmeg, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Cinnamon, ground Spice Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
1st Infusion 6.000 gal 171.065 F 155.000 F 60.000 min
2nd Infusion 2.500 gal 182.447 F 158.000 F 30.000 min

According to the nutrition label on the cans, and some math, adding this much pumpkin to the boil adds 2.85 ounces of sugar. much of which may not be fermentable, or at least might not get fermented. i don't think it will throw off calculations much, except that all the other crud in the pumpkin will throw off hydro and refracto readings.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #108
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Brewed the porter today. Had a fine brew day on the porch with a storm brewing as well.

1st infusion was short by a gallon. oops. need to put marks on the HLT. Made it up in the 2nd. Mash temps were also a touch lower than i had planned but it basically worked out anyway.

ended up boiling the 1st runnings for 45 minutes before the 2nd were ready, volume ended up low by about a quart and a half. Found another quart lurking in the mash tun and will probably bring it to a boil in the microwave, throw some tinfoil over it until it cools, and then funnel it into the fermenter.

I've got a 5cf reach-in cooler i bought the other day for $35 *delivered that seems to hold steady at 60f way on the end of it's control dial, so I'm trying that as a fermentation vessel.

Pretty much made the numbers predicted by brewtarget. OG is actually closer to 1.066.

Used dry galangal instead of dry ginger, because somehow i can run out of ginger and not notice but I've got galangal, which is a close relative.

Smelled great. Gonna let it sit in primary for a month and then rack to a keg and let it condition until Halloween.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #109
TravisF
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

This looks so amazing...I'm going to try it this weekend. Thanks guys for all the work you've put into this!

Revvy mentions at one point that he didn't have an carapills for head retention.

Would you still go with the original recipe? Or would you add the carapills? If you'd add it, how much?

Also, to do a 10g batch, would you just double everything, right?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #110
opXus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Curious about using pumpkin. Looking to brew a pumpkin porter. Curious as to how much pumpkin to use (canned that it) and when to use it. Has anyone mashed the pumpkin? Or only in the boil? Looking for a 5 gallon batch.... and hoping to do it in january 2013

Quick Reply