Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Let grain bed settle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Let grain bed settle?

I've been having a lot of stuck mash issues. Question. I do RIMS and after I dough in and stir, I've been starting recirculation right away.

Should I wait for the grain bed to settle first like 5 minutes or so? Could this be contributing to stuck/slow mash issues?

Thanks.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I usually start my recirculation as soon as I make sure any dough balls are gone. I have noticed that a crap load of rice hulls really help with my false bottom.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I don't have a RIMS but I haven't had a stuck mash in many years. What I do is mash overnight. In the morning, open up the ball valve, collect first runnings and then start sparging. I don't use rice hulls either. I have a stainless steel braided line connected to a 1/4" ball valve.

In your situation, I would allow the bed to settle for about 10-15 minutes, then start your sparge. It can't be any worse than what you already have - stuck mashes. Time for a different technique.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
bighand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had some problems with a stuck mash when using my RIMS. I ended up opening up the gap of my mill a little bit and have not had any more problems. (Although my efficiency dropped from 83% to around 70%.) I decided it was worth the lower efficiency to not drive myself crazy with the stuck mashes.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm brewing tomorrow. I reconfigured my manifold and I'm going to solder it together. It came apart last time. I'm also going to put the manifold inside of a nylon bag as some extra insurance against a stuck sparge. I've got about a half pound of rice hulls as well.

Recipe has flaked rice, flaked corn, and wheat, so I'm hoping for the best here.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 05-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
I don't have a RIMS but I haven't had a stuck mash in many years. What I do is mash overnight. In the morning, open up the ball valve, collect first runnings and then start sparging. I don't use rice hulls either. I have a stainless steel braided line connected to a 1/4" ball valve.

In your situation, I would allow the bed to settle for about 10-15 minutes, then start your sparge. It can't be any worse than what you already have - stuck mashes. Time for a different technique.
Interesting. Any concern about bacteria with this technique. Sounds like, no, but just curious. This could really come in handy.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is most definitely a chance of a bacterial infection with that technique. It's been discussed in detail on many occasions on this forum...do a search. 150 degree, sugary grain is bacteria's best friend I'm not saying others haven't done it with success, but you asked if there is a risk and the answer is yes.

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
wheels4
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm brewing tomorrow. I reconfigured my manifold and I'm going to solder it together. It came apart last time. I'm also going to put the manifold inside of a nylon bag as some extra insurance against a stuck sparge. I've got about a half pound of rice hulls as well.

Recipe has flaked rice, flaked corn, and wheat, so I'm hoping for the best here.
Do not solder it together it will be a PITA to clean. If it came apart you can use stainless wire and wire it together. This is what I do and it will never come apart.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #9
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Interesting. Any concern about bacteria with this technique. Sounds like, no, but just curious. This could really come in handy.
I won't downplay the chance at an infection, but I haven't had one in over 5 years of using this technique, 2x/month. It's been working for me and is a big time saver, so I'm going with it.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3203 Times on 3107 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I think starting the recirculation too suddenly can compact the grain bed and cause some issues, especially with an LG or more powerful pump. Maybe try opening the valve slowly and see if it helps any.

Quick Reply