Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lessons learned!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Horseshoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Lessons learned!

A couple days ago, I brewed an all grain American Brown Ale. I was quite excited about it, because I developed it, myself. However, as the process continued, I drank more and more homebrew. Lesson 1: Stay reasonably sober while brewing.
When I put the chiller in the brew, I didn't notice that I had left the hoses hanging down. Only after smoke was everywhere did my inebriated mind suggest that there was a problem. (see Lesson 1, above.) It was obvious, even to a drunk, that the chiller was NOT going to be functional. So, I scrambled to fill the sink with ice and water. By the time I did this, the brew had boiled about 15 minutes longer than planned. So much so, that I actually had to top up a bit with some boiled water. Funny thing: I hit all of my numbers, spot on!
After the adventure was over (and I had slept off the homebrew) I removed the hoses from the chiller. They were clamped onto the copper tubing with standard hose clamps. I decided to modify the design, using compression fittings, and quick-connectors. It is a MUCH better design. Lesson 2: If something looks like a poor design, it probably is. I should have made the modification the first time I noticed it was such a crappy design.

Now, I'll be able to attach the hoses only after the pot leaves the flame.

Mike

image-3287229124.jpg  

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the mornings, that is the best they are going to feel all day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
donjr721
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

just glad you didn't get hurt, or burn house down. i may have to build a wort chiller using quick connects instead of using hoses, like i planned now.

Life's good, I'm on the right side of the dirt.
SREEHC .aixelsid htiw esoht roF

Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Horseshoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Normally, I prop the hoses up to prevent this. And that works. But, I still think this is a better design. This summer, I am thinking of making a new, bigger chiller (and I'll use this design again) and then I'll use this old design as a pre-chiller.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the mornings, that is the best they are going to feel all day.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS