Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lesson Learned. Use Rice halls.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
caioz1jp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Lesson Learned. Use Rice halls.

Stuck sparge. $25 down the drain. Will always add rice hulls.
9lb grain bill.
2-row
biscuit malt
roasted barley.

We are thinking the biscuit malt, @2.5lb, is the culpret being it is the only malt we have never used before. I never had a stuck sparge before and don't use rice halls. I will always add them becuase not only was it frustrating. It was pretty terrible to watch my brother have something like that fail when he was so excited about his mint stout. Real bummer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 153

There's no need to dump a stuck sparge. Just strain it using ANYTHING that can strain (nylon bag, colinder). All you need to do is separate the grain from it's juices and you'll be making beer in no time.

Nothing in your grainbill indicates that it should have stuck. They're all barley with husks. Perhaps the milling pulverized the husks too much and created too much barley flour? I've only ever needed rice hulls with a recipe that called for about 40% wheat and rye (no husks on wheat and rye).

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

No need to dump it ever. I got a funny look from my wife when she came around the corner and I had the drain hose in my mouth blowing it backwards to clear the stuck sparge.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
christpuncher123
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't tell me you did something stupid like dumping it?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Stocktonbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

What kind of setup do you use in your MLT?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Something else to think about too for future reference is to condition your grain before you send it through the mill. Just fill a little spray bottle with around 5 ounces of water, spray the top layer of grain in the bucket some and stir it with your hands and repeat.

Do this till you can see that the grains have been wetted a little bit, not soaking obviously, but wetted some and then send them through the mill. This will make the husks somewhat rubbery and and they'll remain whole a lot easier and help to prevent a stuck sparge. Also get some feeler gauages and set them at .039 and run it through twice and see what works for you. There are folks out there that have their rollers set to .032 and do just fine.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I have a 10gallon home depot rubber made with braided steel mesh. I left for the store when my brother decided he was fed up. I did suggest to him to grab a collinder and start straining. I would of tried to blow back but i dont have a tube that would fit over the nozzle of the tun.

We even dumped the tun into the kettle, pulled the ss mesh off and wash it out. I cleared the valve and when we added it all back in, nothing would flow out. I will add that he used european malt as well. Liek I said, I have never had a stuck sparge before and have made a few wheats and stouts with out issue. This was the first time.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Dougie63
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

also dont drain the first runnings too fast or it will result in a stuck sparge, I only use rice hulls when using wheat malt

Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

I also just experienced a couple of stuck mashes. The first one wasn't a surprise, since I was using a lot of wheat. I thought 0.75 lbs. of rice hulls was enough, I was wrong. It took about 2 hrs to drain first runnings with several blows back through the valve, not cool. The most recent was this past weekend, which is the one that's bothering me. The grain bill was 22 lbs marris otter, 3 lbs vienna, 1 lb. Chocolate, 14 oz roasted barely (unmalted), 14 oz de-bittered black, 2 lbs. flaked barley (which i milled)...no wheat. After the first stuck mash (witbier), i decided to make rice hulls a regular addition and added a lb. Again not enough, and stuck the mash. I grind my own grain and i'm sure this is the problem. I have a corona grain mill that i run with a drill. My grind is pretty fine, with no whole grains. Husks are all split and "flour" is pretty course. I read on this forum to tighten the grind until you're scared, then tighten a little more, so thats what i did. My efficiency on this particular batch was 79%, which i'm very happy with,but i can't deal with a stuck mash every time. So my questions are: How do i find the perfect grind on my mill? How do people get such high efficiency without sticking their mash? Are there other tricks to preventing this? How often do you use rice hulls to reach high efficiency (other than when using wheat)? And, how much rice hulls is recommended?

I made several batches with a coaser grind and my efficiency suffered, like in the 60s.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Flour will stick a sparge every time and honestly I am not sure that you can get enough rice in to stop it.

I have a corona mill as well and found that it took a whole lot of machining it to get the plates to run square to each other. If the plates are not parallel then you will get flour out one side and course grain out the other. Also try wetting the grain before you mill it.

Quick Reply