Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > leaving town with two in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
henrychinaski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default leaving town with two in primary

o.k. i didn't plan well, and now i have beer in primary that's not going to be finished by tomorrow evening when i leave town for two weeks.
i'm trying to decide my best course of action.
options:
1. just forget about it and worry about it when i get back. a lot of people say that you shouldn't leave beer on the trub/yeast cake for long after primary fermentation is finished due to off flavors the beer can absorb if the yeast starts autolyzing. then again some say they never do a secondary, leaving the beer on the cake until they keg or bottle. i always rack into secondary after primary subsides.
2. have a friend, who doesn't brew, come over and rack it. risky, i know, but he is pretty smart, and i'll have time to show him what to do.
3. ?
i probably should just go with option one, since i had really good hot and cold break and left the vast majority of the trub in the kettle.
any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Leave it, it will be fine...

I leave mine for a month on the yeast cake and they come out better than when I used to rack to secondary...Let the yeasties clean up after themselves while you are away.

That idea of not leaving it on the yeast cake for a few weeks is a brewing urban legend...the misreading of Palmer...

We discuss it here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68823

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 06-11-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Just leave it in primary...it will be fine for several weeks. Some say several months, and I'm inclined to believe them.

Your beer will be fine, and it just may cause you to kick the secondary habit.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
henrychinaski
Recipes 

done. thanks guys.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Leave it, it will be fine...

I leave mine for a month on the yeast cake and they come out better than when I used to rack to secondary...Let the yeasties clean up after themselves while you are away.

That idea of not leaving it on the yeast cake for a few weeks is a brewing urban legend...the misreading of Palmer...

We discuss it here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68823
If you need to cold lager a beer, do you do it in the primary also? What about bigger beers that need time to age. I plan to brew my old ale in about 2-3 weeks and want an opinion of if I should take it off the yeast if I age it for 2-3 months.

Primary: IPA
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: American Wheat
Keg2: German Ale
Next up: Christmas Old Ale, American Wheat AG, need suggestions

Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierbrewer View Post
If you need to cold lager a beer, do you do it in the primary also? What about bigger beers that need time to age. I plan to brew my old ale in about 2-3 weeks and want an opinion of if I should take it off the yeast if I age it for 2-3 months.
I've never brewed a Lager, but I read something today that leads me to believe that you shouldn't leave them on the yeast cake for too long...That those tend to be where Autolysis is noticeable....

(THat's also where most N00bs pick up on the autolysis bugaboo)

Re-read the section in Palmer on Lagers...
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-1.html

I can't help you with Old ales either...I think Orfey and maybe Landhoney are the one's to ask...

You might want to start a thread called "Old ALe Questions" or something...I be into learning about them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply