Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Leave in primary or rack to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
SoFlaBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Leave in primary or rack to secondary?

I just brewed an all-grain porter(my 2nd all-grain batch) and need some advice on whether to leave it in the primary or rack to secondary.
Without starting a much debated topic of primary vs secondary, here is the issue. The beer has been in the primary for almost a week already. Initial fermentation was awesome, the most violent I've ever seen. After 4 days I took a gravity reading and got 1.023. I know it still has a way to go. I am going on vacation which means the wort will be on the yeast for about 5 weeks total. Is this too long? The OG was 1.060. This is the biggest beer for me to date and I really don't want to mess this up.

So.... should I just leave it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could go either way here.

Personally, I'd leave it. Five weeks is fine.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Leave it..

Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As long as you had a nice healthy pitch of yeast I would just leave it in a cool spot while you are gone.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another vote for leave it.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
chthonik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yet another for leaving it. Should be fine. The only disadvantage I find is kicking up sediment if transferring right to a keg or bottling bucket.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
SoFlaBrewer
Recipes 

I haven't graduated to kegging yet so the beer will be racked to a bottling bucket. I've gotten used to the sediment and have gotten pretty good at minimizing the amount drawn.

Alot of votes for leaving it so I'll leave it. I just wanted some reassurances because this beer will be unattended for quite some time.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i guess im going to buck convention. wait another week then rack it. as the yeast die they explode and release byproducts into the beer that are harmless but can affect the taste. that thick layer at the bottom of your carboy is dieing yeast and trub.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
i guess im going to buck convention. wait another week then rack it. as the yeast die they explode and release byproducts into the beer that are harmless but can affect the taste. that thick layer at the bottom of your carboy is dieing yeast and trub.
You may have not heard...but the autlolysis bogeyman has been pretty much disproven....even in Palmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Brew
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

(and)

....As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.
Hence why many of us advocate skipping secondary or opt for long primaries.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
SoFlaBrewer
Recipes 

Unfortunately, Tipsydragon, I don't have another week to wait. That is why I need input on what to do with it.

Quick Reply