Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lazy Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
gibfried
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Lazy Brew

Anyone out there ever completed the mashing process one day and boiled the wort the next day. I thought about taking it easy on this all grain process, and spreading the fun out for two days. I can see how this could pose a problem as far as nasties getting started, but you never know.

Has anyone tried it?

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I havent done it but it should be fine. There are suppliers who will sell you liquid wort which is essentially the same as what you would produce the first day and finish the next. The boil process will take care of anything that may get in between wort production and brew day. Unless there is some vigorous fermentation going on in your wort come brew day (which is highly unlikely) you would be fine. I think the biggest disadvantage here is getting everything back out and stanitized to use again the next day. That and the energy loss of having to heat the wort back up instead of it starting at mash out temperatures.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

There are several members in our club out here that'll mash the night before then bring the sweet wort to the brewout. This saves brew time and lends to more tasting time.

Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 09-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did this with a partial mash batch. The results were the same as when I did it all in one day. I was able to cut about 1.5 hours off my brew day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
I think the biggest disadvantage here is getting everything back out and stanitized to use again the next day.
I disagree here. I don't sanitize anything that has to do with the mash. The only equipment that I sanitize is the post-boil stuff. Anything before that doesn't really matter....of course you want it clean though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
That and the energy loss of having to heat the wort back up instead of it starting at mash out temperatures.
Completely agree here. Especially with an all grain batch. You will actually be adding time to your normal boil time when mashing the night before. I haven't tried it with an all grainer, so you'll have to pay attention to how much extra time it takes you to bring the wort to a boil and see if its worth it.

Good luck

Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild
There are several members in our club out here that'll mash the night before then bring the sweet wort to the brewout. This saves brew time and lends to more tasting time.

Wild
Do they put the wort in a fridge or something, or just leave it at room temperature? I'm thinking about doing this now

Old 09-21-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
gibfried

Recipes 

Well, I work in evenings, so I get the mornings off. This is brew time for me. I'll be starting my first all grain batch real quick here - have all the equipment ready. I just don't want to get up too early - You know how it is. Spread out the fun over a couple of days... I'll try it.

Thanks fellas.

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Quick Reply