Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lauter Tun vs False Bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
jcarson83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default Manifold vs False Bottom vs SS braid

Lauter Tun vs False Bottom. Which do you prefer? This is for a partial mash so I guess you could choose C, grain bag.

Last edited by jcarson83; 06-29-2006 at 03:11 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #2
Passload

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
Lauter Tun vs False Bottom.
What exactly do you mean?

Cheers! J.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Relax, and trust the yeast to do their job, it's the one thing they are really good at!

Zuckerflüsschen Brauend Firma
On Deck: Whatever I Want
Primary: Sugarcreek Amber Ale
Brite Tank:
Aging: Philr-er-up Rockwell
Drinking/Kegged: The Golden Quitty

"It's just like anything else"
"It's not rocket science"

Old 06-29-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

He means manifold vs. false bottom.

Manifold = less efficient and dependent on grainbed depth to create even flow and higher efficiency. If it's designed right and has 4 or 5 pipes correctly spaced (see Palmer's www.howtobrew.com) it can be plenty efficienty. It's cheaper, made from copper or cpvc and is the easy solution for square, rectangular, or other non circular shaped mash/lauter tuns. Don't bother soldering it together.. it's supposed to leak, that's why you drill holes or cut slots in it.

False bottom = easy solution for a round cooler. Maybe a good choice for someone whose starting with partial mashes and will likely have a fairly shallow grainbed depth since they're not using much grains. Depth does still matter though, too shallow and you won't get much filtering and will be stuck with cloudy runnings (bad). If you're not a do it yourselfer then this is the easy but expensive store bought solution. Remember, the drain pipe should be located under the middle of the false bottom to promote even flow. If I recall correctly I think false bottoms are more prone to stuck sparges than manifolds.. but I've rarely had stuck sparges and they're easily fixed by a bit of stirring or blowing into the drain hose.

So, what do I have? A copper manifold and it works great but there's definitely nothing wrong with a false bottom.

edit: bags are for steeping. I wouldn't call it a partial mash if it's done in a bag or colander (no offense to you colander users). And I don't want to start a debate about steeping vs. PM... yeah, I know it's technically a PM if you hold a mash temp and expect starch conversion from your grains.

Last edited by Lost; 06-29-2006 at 05:54 AM.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you are batch sparging just use a stainless steel braid. It's about as easy as it gets. Look at the way this guy does it..> http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

Gary

Old 06-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
jcarson83

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
If you are batch sparging just use a stainless steel braid. It's about as easy as it gets. Look at the way this guy does it..> http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php
Yeah, I'm a dumbass. I meant manifold.

I like that stainless steel braid idea. I was leaning away from it because I thought it was somthing you had to buy from the home brewer store. Would it be better to use a longer braid?

Old 06-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
jcarson83

Recipes 

By the way, that website help a lot. I'm doing my first PM this weekend and that makes it look a lot easier.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
Yeah, I'm a dumbass. I meant manifold.

I like that stainless steel braid idea. I was leaning away from it because I thought it was somthing you had to buy from the home brewer store. Would it be better to use a longer braid?
His system is really simple and his braid is the right size. A longer braid will not make any difference but if you go that route make sure the braid is actually stainless steel and not nylon or plastic that looks like stainless.

Gary

Old 06-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

wow, that looks like a real easy way to get into doing partial mashes. Blender, have you used that system? It works as well as some of the other systems I've seen people here build?

Old 06-29-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
wow, that looks like a real easy way to get into doing partial mashes. Blender, have you used that system? It works as well as some of the other systems I've seen people here build?
I have a larger rectangular cooler and use a braid. It works very well. The round coolers are expensive for their size and the rectangular ones are a better buy with the option of doing all grain brewing. The thing I have found most important is the quality of the grain crush. I had poor results with Morebeer and better results with the local shop.

Gary

Old 06-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Cool, thanks. That sounds like the way that I'll go, not for the coming batch, but for the one following. Gotta make a trip to Home Despot this weekend anyway, I'll go look for some braid.

Quick Reply