late extract with partial mash...an alternative method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
So, my current brewing system allows me to mash about 7 pounds of grain (in a grainbag, per deathbrewer's stovetop thread) and I top off with DME as a late extract. I'm quite happy with the results. One thing I struggle with, however, is the fact that I'm boiling about 3.5 gallons in a 4 gallon pot and when I go to add a couple of pounds of DME in the last 10 minutes it takes several minutes to get it all stirred in, the boil is temporarily killed, etc. I always wonder how this affects IBUs, flavor hop profile, etc, but I'm not really worried about it. Again, I like the results.

However, I'm planning a barleywine and now have 5+ pounds of DME to deal with...too much for the system. My solution is to calculate my hops, IBUs, etc in Beersmith for a 3.5 gallon boil and to enter the DME addition in Beersmith as a time 0 addition. In reality, I will boil the DME in water in a separate pot for 10-15 minutes to sanitize and just mix them going into the fermentor after cooling.

Anyone see any problems with this plan? In fact, if there are no problems, it may become my standard method (until I get equipped for full boils, that is!)

Thanks for any feedback.

If you're going to do that, why not make the 2nd pot you're planning on adding the extract to another AG addition instead? I've heard of a few people boiling half batches in 2 pots and then combining going in to the fermenter for the full 5 gallons.

I'm sure you can use the method you are talking about with extract as well, but if you're going to go to that trouble, I would just do a second mash, split the hops, and make essentially 2 all grain half batches in separate kettles to combine going in to the primary.

If you're going to do that, why not make the 2nd pot you're planning on adding the extract to another AG addition instead?

Thanks for the reply.

I've thought about it, but mainly it's a matter of the number of big pots I have....takes 2 to mash and rinse/sparge and that's all I've got. I could probably employ some shenanigans to dump the initial wort into smaller pots or something, but I can barely keep the mess under control as it is!

I do that all the time...every batch.

As a matter of fact I don't even bring it back to a boil. I just let the DME steep for 5-15 mins to pasteurize and it's done.;)

So, you're dropping the DME into water only? Or into the wort as I described in the first paragraph?

Back