Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Late Carafa III addition?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
DAlexander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Acampo, CA
Posts: 56
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Late Carafa III addition?

Im doing a black Kolsh tonight and gonna go ahead and add my Carafa late to reduce the flavors as much as possible. But Im curious as to how you guys do it, during Laughter or Sparge? Never done it before and givin the delicate flavor already in a Kolsh Im leaning towards the Sparge.

__________________
DAlexander is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 570
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlexander
Im doing a black Kolsh tonight and gonna go ahead and add my Carafa late to reduce the flavors as much as possible. But Im curious as to how you guys do it, during Laughter or Sparge? Never done it before and givin the delicate flavor already in a Kolsh Im leaning towards the Sparge.
Sparking is no laughing matter...... Sorry had to do it.
When I do things like black IPA's I do cold steeping this reduces the flavours and your Ger good colour additions. 24-36 hours in room temp water. Boiled first to sanitise. Works well for me.
Here's a pic of my first experiment 350ml with 50 grams of grain. Then sparge with 77 deg c water about 250ml after getting to temp added directly to the fermenter
image-811110759.jpg  
__________________
Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale
Primary2: Oud Bruin Oak Barrel Ale
Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale
Barrel Aging: Red Barron Oak Barrel Amber Ale
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA
On Tap: Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
eric19312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: , NY
Posts: 681
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I cold sparge 12-24 hours. Don't worry about boiling water, the grist has plenty of wild stuff on it in the bag.

I strain the dark liquor and add it to the kettle at flameout. The almost boiling wort takes care of sanitizing.

I'm also experimenting with this style using maltoferm for extra cool or. Added 1oz in last batch to my priming sugar to get a very late addition.

__________________
eric19312 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 570
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post
I cold sparge 12-24 hours. Don't worry about boiling water, the grist has plenty of wild stuff on it in the bag.

I strain the dark liquor and add it to the kettle at flameout. The almost boiling wort takes care of sanitizing.

I'm also experimenting with this style using maltoferm for extra cool or. Added 1oz in last batch to my priming sugar to get a very late addition.
Different processes, similar outcome. good to see it works just as well. I added mine to already cooled wort. the sanitised water helps with my piece of mind. then the sparge step with heated water, removes the extra sugar.

Carafa III is pretty darn mild anyways.
__________________
Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale
Primary2: Oud Bruin Oak Barrel Ale
Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale
Barrel Aging: Red Barron Oak Barrel Amber Ale
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA
On Tap: Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
eric19312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: , NY
Posts: 681
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612

Sparking is no laughing matter...... Sorry had to do it.
When I do things like black IPA's I do cold steeping this reduces the flavours and your Ger good colour additions. 24-36 hours in room temp water. Boiled first to sanitise. Works well for me.
Here's a pic of my first experiment 350ml with 50 grams of grain. Then sparge with 77 deg c water about 250ml after getting to temp added directly to the fermenter
Maybe I'm not understanding when you boil. Sounded like you boiled the water, cooled the water, added crushed grain, waited 36 hrs, strained, rinsed, combined strainings with cooled wort...

If so that is a recipe for sour beer...
__________________
eric19312 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 570
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding when you boil. Sounded like you boiled the water, cooled the water, added crushed grain, waited 36 hrs, strained, rinsed, combined strainings with cooled wort...

If so that is a recipe for sour beer...
Thats what i did exactly, , I strained with hot water though. Turned out fine. Its just a different process to what you did is all.
__________________
Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale
Primary2: Oud Bruin Oak Barrel Ale
Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale
Barrel Aging: Red Barron Oak Barrel Amber Ale
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA
On Tap: Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
eric19312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: , NY
Posts: 681
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

OK I'm glad it worked out. How long has the beer been in the bottle. An infection could take some time to show up...

I'm trying not to be an a$$hat here but it seems like you added unsanitary grain to sanitary water, cultured it for 36 hrs at room temp, then added the water, wild bugs, bacteria and all, into pitching temperature wort with your yeast...I would really like to see that repeated a few times before advocating that as a reasonable practice.

__________________
eric19312 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 570
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

how is it different to what you've done?
Any bugs that were created, were most likely killed off during the hot water sparge process.

__________________
Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale
Primary2: Oud Bruin Oak Barrel Ale
Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale
Barrel Aging: Red Barron Oak Barrel Amber Ale
In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA (+ US-05 Vers.) /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Mother of Dragons E-IPA
On Tap: Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/
crusader1612 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
eric19312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: , NY
Posts: 681
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612
how is it different to what you've done?
Any bugs that were created, were most likely killed off during the hot water sparge process.
I added 2qt unsanitary cold steeped wort into 5 gallons wort at about 210F...enough heat to sanitize the cold steeped, presumably infected, wort...
__________________
eric19312 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
rpe290
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: , SC
Posts: 98
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post
I added 2qt unsanitary cold steeped wort into 5 gallons wort at about 210F...enough heat to sanitize the cold steeped, presumably infected, wort...

I think I see what you missed, he used 77 degrees C (170 F) (maybe you thought it was F?)
__________________
rpe290 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
extract brewing: does a late addition boil evaporate more than early addition. woozy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 04-08-2013 02:44 AM
Question about late addition DME...very late drums09 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-01-2013 02:35 AM
Late DME Addition Davida General Beer Discussion 3 01-30-2013 03:22 PM
?? about late carafa edition for Black IPA bgough General Beer Discussion 2 03-11-2010 07:48 PM
how late is too late for late-extract-addition? riored4v Extract Brewing 10 04-21-2008 09:08 PM