Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Late boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Late boil

I have a 24 gallon kettle that I can get 16.5 gallons finished volume easily, I want to try to squeeze another 5.5 gallons in there, for a total finished volume of 22 gallons, but I would have to add most of the last sparge later, after the initial volume boils down, my question is has anyone done this, and do you forsee any problems? Will I have any hot break issues for the last sparge water addition, since it will be very low gravity I assume it will be minimal if any? And what will it do for the IBU's, I assume not any change? I will look forward to any help on this matter, thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No, Problems I do it all the time. I't thin any way, you may get a more dextronus wort which may lead to a little more body in the beer. But it works great.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
jmancuso
Recipes 

I made the mistake of doing that 2 weeks in a row while my larger kettle was ordered. Both of those beers were dumped after weeks of letting it age to see if the DMS would fade. Still tasted like canned corn a month later so I got rid of them. I will never make that mistake again. Any mash or sparge runnings are brought to a very strong boil for no less than 90 minutes from now on.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could opt for a small pot/kitchen stove boil for the end runnings. I recently read a DFH 120 minute IPA thread on here where the person had a small pot boiling in the kitchen because his outside brewpot was overfilled. He had his wife doing hop additions inside and when there was enough room outside, they brought it out and combined.

Quick Reply