Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Last two brews have tasted like plastic! Please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
lukadog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Last two brews have tasted like plastic! Please help!

Ok, I'm having some new issues. The past two batches I have made have had this plastic taste to them! Not good at all! I'm practicing the exact sanitation techniques, same temps ect. My FC is always at 62 degrees, and I'm brewing the same way I have for a long time. However, the past two brews have tasted just horrible, with a weird plastic taste. I know my mash temps shouldn't be an issue. I taste it before I keg it and it has the same taste, so it shouldn't be the keg. It was in a better bottle with no blow off, so it rules that out. What is this problem? I'm REALLY getting tired of pouring beer down the drain! Any help would be great! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I feel your pain. Had to dump two batches back to back due to a terrible taste. Heartbreaking! Mine came from the new CFC I got but didn't clean & sanitize as thoroughly as I needed to, but if you've changed no equipment or procedure, that's a tough one.

Is the taste plastic like it's picking up better bottle taste? Or like a band-aid?

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
bduane
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukadog View Post
Ok, I'm having some new issues. The past two batches I have made have had this plastic taste to them! Not good at all! I'm practicing the exact sanitation techniques, same temps ect. My FC is always at 62 degrees, and I'm brewing the same way I have for a long time. However, the past two brews have tasted just horrible, with a weird plastic taste. I know my mash temps shouldn't be an issue. I taste it before I keg it and it has the same taste, so it shouldn't be the keg. It was in a better bottle with no blow off, so it rules that out. What is this problem? I'm REALLY getting tired of pouring beer down the drain! Any help would be great! Thanks!
Just a wild guess, you aren't using a garden hose for obtaining your water are you?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Also, what is the recipe? Possible old or bad batch of extract if youre partial mash? Did they use a same extract from the same source?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
OatStraw
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Did you buy any of your beer line from Lowe's or Home Depot? Those will deff give an off taste.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
postal_penguin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatStraw View Post
Did you buy any of your beer line from Lowe's or Home Depot? Those will deff give an off taste.
All my siphon tubing came from Lowes, haven't noticed any off flavors.

Primary: Apfelwein, Raspberry Lambic, Experimental Wheat cider, IPA
Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Hefe
Keg 2: Irish Stout
Keg 3: Peach Kolsch
Keg 4: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Chocolate Stout

Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
RyanN
Recipes 

What yeast? Are you using tap water? Filtered or treated? When I have had this issue in the past it was from too high a fermentation temperature - mid 60's. How are you measuring fermentation temp? Inside the chamber or do you have a probe taped and insulated against the fermenter?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
lukadog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduane View Post
Just a wild guess, you aren't using a garden hose for obtaining your water are you?
Yes, but I always have with fine results.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
lukadog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofreak View Post
Also, what is the recipe? Possible old or bad batch of extract if youre partial mash? Did they use a same extract from the same source?
AG. Same grains from the same LHBS with the same mill and settings.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
lukadog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
What yeast? Are you using tap water? Filtered or treated? When I have had this issue in the past it was from too high a fermentation temperature - mid 60's. How are you measuring fermentation temp? Inside the chamber or do you have a probe taped and insulated against the fermenter?
WLP007 English Dry. My water is tap untreated from a hose. Same way as I have always have done it. My temp controller is set on 62 with the probe taped halfway down the wall with some bubble wrap behind it against the wall (so probe isn't touching the wall)

Quick Reply