Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Last two beers have an apple taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you kegging or bottling? If kegging are you sure your beer line is clean. Like I said, I had that taste come from an unclean beer line once. I had a beer throwing the taste pretty bad. I was using a line with a cobra tap on it. I brought a different beer on line and moved the tap from the apply beer to the new one and got the same taste from the new beer. I tried a different beer line and both beers tasted fine wihin a pour or two. It may have been a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew
Are you kegging or bottling? If kegging are you sure your beer line is clean. Like I said, I had that taste come from an unclean beer line once. I had a beer throwing the taste pretty bad. I was using a line with a cobra tap on it. I brought a different beer on line and moved the tap from the apply beer to the new one and got the same taste from the new beer. I tried a different beer line and both beers tasted fine wihin a pour or two. It may have been a coincidence, but I don't think so.
I do keg but I clean my lines with line cleaner then water then sanitizer after every kicked keg. I could clean them to see.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update...it has to be my kegs or lines because my hefe now tastes like apples. This is very discouraging. I kept the fermentation temps in the mid to low 60s and keep it on the yeast for 3 weeks (also took readings to make sure fermentation was complete). When I kegged the beer it smelt exactly like a hefe and the sample tasted like a hefe. Now after 2 weeks in the keg it is starting to get an apple smell and taste.

I cleaned the line after that keg was kicked. Before I hooked up the hefe I ran starsan through the line. I don't think I can clean the line any better than I have been. I think I'm just going to reclean every line and every disconnect.

I did use this bucket to make apfelwein but I have cleaned it a handful of times since then...but then again it smelt and tasted like a hefe at kegging and a week after so I don't think it could be that.

If it still tastes like apples after another week or so then I will bottle half my next batch and keg the other half to see if there is a difference (just brewed a Belgian White using the same bucket).

Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Can you totally rule out your racking equipment?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes because I have used that equipment with another batch i have kegged and that tastes fine. I keep all my equipment very clean.

I am going to clean all my keg lines and faucets tonight just to make sure. The line I'm using now was cleaned but then it hasn't been used for about 3 weeks but I wouldn't think that would do anything especially since I ran starsan through it.

Like I said i did make apfelwein but I have cleaned everything a few times and it all smells like beer now. I could just buy a new bucket and lines as they are cheap enough.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Does it have this taste pulling it right out of the fermenter or only after carbonation? I know I was dealing with carbonic bite for a while and kind of had the same taste of apples. Once I figured that out, everything is now back to normal. Also had a pumpkin ale that got infected that tasted like apples BAD!

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Does it have this taste pulling it right out of the fermenter or only after carbonation? I know I was dealing with carbonic bite for a while and kind of had the same taste of apples. Once I figured that out, everything is now back to normal. Also had a pumpkin ale that got infected that tasted like apples BAD!
This one definitely after carbonation. I tasted it from primary and it tasted great.

What did you have to do?

If this makes a difference, I carb between 14 and 10 psi. Usually I try to keep it at 12 but my reg seems to wonder a few psi.

Quick Reply