Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Last two beers have an apple taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Last two beers have an apple taste

I made a Fat Tire clone and Yooper's cream ale. The Fat Tire clone had a real apple smell and taste to it. That one I know fermented too high. Yooper's cream ale I though I did a good job at keeping the temp low. I used a yeast starter and kept temps down in the lower 60s. Both brews I did use my buddy's tap water. I tasted the water itself and I couldn't taste anything bad. I drink that water all the time.

The cream ale isn't all that appley but you I can definitely sense a little.

Besides high fermentation temp, what would cause this off flavor?

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Acetaldehyde due to young age. How long have those beers been conditioning?

Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Like Hex said, acetaldehyde. Controlling your fermentation temps, avoiding oxygen exposure, and leaving the beer on the yeast until it is cleaned up often is all you need. Most of the time just leaving the beer on the yeast several days after gravity stops dropping will clear this off flavor up, although I did find I had a less than clean beer line once that was imparting this taste to a beer as well.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew
Like Hex said, acetaldehyde. Controlling your fermentation temps, avoiding oxygen exposure, and leaving the beer on the yeast until it is cleaned up often is all you need. Most of the time just leaving the beer on the yeast several days after gravity stops dropping will clear this off flavor up, although I did find I had a less than clean beer line once that was imparting this taste to a beer as well.
Both beers were left in primary for at least 2 weeks. The apple taste in the fat tire clone did go away slowly as it sat in the keg but even after a month or so i could still taste it. The cream ale isn't nearly as bad.

Even though I kept the cream ale in the low 60s, it would fluctuate up or down 5 or so degrees. So it never really stayed constant. I would say between 59 and 64/65 degrees.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Most of the time just leaving the beer on the yeast several days after gravity stops dropping will clear this off flavor up.
Totally agree with this. I've had beers go in a 3 or 4 week primary have no detectable "green-ness" at all.

OP: maybe with future similar beers you could let it ferment out at those low temps then raise to a higher temp like 68/70 to help speed up the yeast clean-up. Temp control matters most during the first parts of fermentation. Might also consider that you could be really sensitive to that flavor. See if any of your beer drinking friends can detect it.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23

Totally agree with this. I've had beers go in a 3 or 4 week primary have no detectable "green-ness" at all.

OP: maybe with future similar beers you could let it ferment out at those low temps then raise to a higher temp like 68/70 to help speed up the yeast clean-up. Temp control matters most during the first parts of fermentation. Might also consider that you could be really sensitive to that flavor. See if any of your beer drinking friends can detect it.
I could let it sit for another week but after 2 weeks at those temps it should be done. The fat tire clone was definitely longer than 2 weeks too.

They can definitely taste it too. I had them sample these two beers.

I just can't figure it out. My brewing process and sanitation is pretty good. The fat tire I figure was the higher temp but the cream ale I just don't know.

I have a hefe in primary right now sitting between 60 and 62. I used my tap water this time. If this tastes like apples too then I will be stumped.

I could raise the temp for a few days after the 2 week primary. I might try that with this hefe.

I did also make a DFH60 clone with my friends water and that came out good. No apple at all. I screwed up the OG so it didn't out exactly like I wanted but it is still very good. So I'm almost positive it is my ferm temp

Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What yeast did you use, how much did you pitch and did you aerate?

Original "Blue Moon" recipe

New Toys for Brewing

Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1
What yeast did you use, how much did you pitch and did you aerate?
Each beer was different. DFH60 was liquid will starter. Fat Tire was liquid with starter. Cream ale was 2.5 gallons using dry. Hefe is 2.5 gallons and I used liquid no starter.

I shake the crap out of them for a minute or two.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Acetaldehyde is most commonly described as having green apple aroma.

The possible solutions from the BJCP Beer Fault list are: "Make sure fermentation is vigorous using healthy yeast. Allow full attenuation. Leave beer on yeast longer. Oxygenate
wort fully. Try another yeast strain. Make sure sufficient yeast nutrients are available. Let beer age longer."

As you are saying the taste is common across different strains of yeast, perhaps the age of the yeasts can be looked at. The amount of yeast pitched is another thing. Just making a starter may not be enough. How big a starter did you make? How long before pitching did you make the starter? Did you use the liquid or refrigerate the starter, pour off the liquid and just use the slurry?

A very rough rule of thumb is to try to use around 1/4 lb of slurry for a 6-7 gallon primary. You may have to build up your starter over a couple of generations to achieve this amount. Pure O2 oxygenation will help the liquid yeasts get going quicker and attenuate fully.

Dry yeasts do not need additional O2. It does help to rehydrate them 15 min. before pitching in clean, filtered water at about 80F.

Good luck in working through your problems.

Original "Blue Moon" recipe

New Toys for Brewing

Old 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1
Acetaldehyde is most commonly described as having green apple aroma.

The possible solutions from the BJCP Beer Fault list are: "Make sure fermentation is vigorous using healthy yeast. Allow full attenuation. Leave beer on yeast longer. Oxygenate
wort fully. Try another yeast strain. Make sure sufficient yeast nutrients are available. Let beer age longer."

As you are saying the taste is common across different strains of yeast, perhaps the age of the yeasts can be looked at. The amount of yeast pitched is another thing. Just making a starter may not be enough. How big a starter did you make? How long before pitching did you make the starter? Did you use the liquid or refrigerate the starter, pour off the liquid and just use the slurry?

A very rough rule of thumb is to try to use around 1/4 lb of slurry for a 6-7 gallon primary. You may have to build up your starter over a couple of generations to achieve this amount. Pure O2 oxygenation will help the liquid yeasts get going quicker and attenuate fully.

Dry yeasts do not need additional O2. It does help to rehydrate them 15 min. before pitching in clean, filtered water at about 80F.

Good luck in working through your problems.
When I made my starters it was always at least 24 hours before pitching. I dumped it all in. I believe both were 1.5 liters. I used Mr malty to calculate the correct size based on gravity and yeast born date.

I could probably shake it more for O2. I do want to get an O2 system at some point.

Quick Reply