Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Last night my first AG batch went flawlessly!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
learningmore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

brrman, How much water did you begin heating at the start? How did you heat your strike water?
It took me forever to heat the stuff up- and I'm using a new gas range w/ "high-speed" large burners. I had about 4 gallons in my large 20 gallon aluminum pot and it struggled to make it past 150 deg. cel. thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 02:10 AM   #12
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

what kind of lauter mechanism do you have?

I did my first AG today as well and did the copper pipe manifold in the igloo ice cube marine cooler (also so I can 10g as soon as I can pick up a keggle).

When you were vorlaufing, (how's that for butchering the german, eh?) what did you do? I collected in a big glass pitcher and poured back in on a plastic container lid floating on top. seemed to work okay. I can really see the reason people buy pumps and set up stands, which I intend to do anyway, but I'm glad to be learning WHY. You rock my brother!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #13
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningmore View Post
brrman, How much water did you begin heating at the start? How did you heat your strike water?
It took me forever to heat the stuff up- and I'm using a new gas range w/ "high-speed" large burners. I had about 4 gallons in my large 20 gallon aluminum pot and it struggled to make it past 150 deg. cel. thanks!
My strike water was 2.5 gallons. I heated that up separately. During the 60 minute mash I heated the 5 gal of sparge water. I am using a turkey fryer to heat my water. If you are having trouble getting the water to temp, I would separate it into more than one pot and try that way on multiple burners (or buy a turkey fryer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
what kind of lauter mechanism do you have?

I did my first AG today as well and did the copper pipe manifold in the igloo ice cube marine cooler (also so I can 10g as soon as I can pick up a keggle).

When you were vorlaufing, (how's that for butchering the german, eh?) what did you do? I collected in a big glass pitcher and poured back in on a plastic container lid floating on top. seemed to work okay. I can really see the reason people buy pumps and set up stands, which I intend to do anyway, but I'm glad to be learning WHY. You rock my brother!
Awesome, man! Ain't it great to make beer from scratch!?
There were a couple places I had to improvise. I had no valve on my turkey fryer pot, which I used for my lauter. So I used oven mitts and actually picked up the pot and dumped the water into the cooler! LOL. Wasn't too bad. Dumping in the 5 gal of sparge water was a challenge but I got it.

When I vorlaufed I caught the runnings in the glass pitcher and poured it over a plastic lid top as well. Seemed to work pretty well.

Honestly - pumps and stuff are all fine, but the only thing I really noticed that I need to add to my procedure is get a valve on my lauter tun. I have 2 kegs waiting to become keggles, so I haven't bothered to add a valve to my turkey fryer pot.
. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Last edited by brrman; 05-30-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used a 2qt glass pitcher to move water from my turkey frier pot to my mash tun. I realized that with only one big pot, I had to catch all my wort in smaller pots, so I had three oft hose sitting around until I finished emptying the frier and could put them in. I felt kind of goofy like I was juggling, but it worked.

A hint on the turkey frier... I wrapped mine in foil today, the whole stand and then around the pot loosely up to the handles on top. I left a big hole on bottom for air to come in, and mine was up on cinder blocks, and air could come in under. I was able to get a boil going FAST with the burner on very low, so I saved a ton of propane. It took a while to get arranged, but was pretty easy. Be careful trying to manipulate hot foil, I burned my fingertips. I would set it up ahead of time THEN light it.

if my ingredients come today from AHS (ordered tuesday) I'll be brewing a close copy of biermuncher's centennial this sunday.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

interesting idea. Did you remove all the foil once you got to a rolling boil?

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Quick Reply