Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > lambic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
BeerAg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What I would like to do is create a true fruit lambic, where I drop in a pile of fruit sometime during the fermentation and get the bugs going again.

My fear is that I will either 1) wait too long, and the yeasties will be dormant and will not ferment the fruit sugars; or 2) not wait long enough, and the flavor profile will be whack, as the yeast didn't have time to clean up the off flavors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I brewed a raspberry lambic out of Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing." I followed his instructions to the letter and it was the best beer I have ever brewed, and quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Well, at least in the top 5.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAg View Post
What I would like to do is create a true fruit lambic, where I drop in a pile of fruit sometime during the fermentation and get the bugs going again.

My fear is that I will either 1) wait too long, and the yeasties will be dormant and will not ferment the fruit sugars; or 2) not wait long enough, and the flavor profile will be whack, as the yeast didn't have time to clean up the off flavors.
Not a problem. Even if the ferment has finished months ago if you drop in new sugars the yeast and other bugs will quickly start back up and ferment them.

Now while it is advantageous to leave a beer in the primary for sufficient time for the yeast to clean up off flavors it will also happen in the secondary as plenty of yeast remain in the beer during the transfer.

It really is quite difficult to screw up beer. I'm not saying its easy to make incredible beer but it is easy to make good beer.

Craig

Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Not a problem. Even if the ferment has finished months ago if you drop in new sugars the yeast and other bugs will quickly start back up and ferment them.

Now while it is advantageous to leave a beer in the primary for sufficient time for the yeast to clean up off flavors it will also happen in the secondary as plenty of yeast remain in the beer during the transfer.

It really is quite difficult to screw up beer. I'm not saying its easy to make incredible beer but it is easy to make good beer.

Craig

Well said. My first attempt at my http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/drunk-owl-mango-55227/ was to fix a batch that didn't carb in the bottles. I carefully poured them onto the mangos and added the bugs and 8 months later...Wow

Old 01-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
I brewed a raspberry lambic out of Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing." I followed his instructions to the letter and it was the best beer I have ever brewed, and quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Well, at least in the top 5.

The Papazian book I have has a Cherry Kriek Recipe. Did you just dump 10Lbs of raspberry instead of cherry. or how much did you use?

Also, if I use these bugs in my brew process is my equipment ruined or just a complete clean and sanatize be good afterward?

Quick Reply