Lager grain with ale yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I'll make it simple, what could I expect if I mixed a lager grain bill with ale yeast? Would I not get a very "clean" beer? How would it effect the overall flavor of the beer? I realize that different yeasts will contribute different flavor to a beer, but I was think a common ale yeast. Something like S-04, since I happen to have that laying around. Opinions?

The main reason I asked this is because I have a very solid grain bill but no place to lager in my basement. I don't have a fridge to spare...my basement is probably around 62 during the day and 55 during the night. I have a garage that sits right at 40 + or - 3 degrees. Perhaps I can lager in my house by using my basement and/or my garage? I would love to try that, but I want some kind of promise that it would still be ok. I'm moving in a few months and I want to brew something I can drink while I'm moving my crap.

Lager grain is simply Pilsner grain. It may be undermodified or slightly less modified (you'd have to check the malt analysis sheet), however, chances are it's well modified and was simply kilned at temperatures akin to a Pilsner malt.

You might try a protein rest, however, it's not absolutely necessary.

Lager grain with an ale yeast is fine. The difference is simply the smoothness and esters that the final beer will take on. At the temperatures you mention in your basement, your ale should turn out very nice.

I just bottled a beer today that I made with pilsner malt, a little carapils for head retention and US-05. I'm on my phone and don't have the recipe in front of me, but I used American hops and hit the higher end of the IBU range for a Bohemian Pilsner, so it's more hoppy than a Blonde Ale. I'm not sure what to call it, maybe an American Pilsner Ale (??). I fermented at 60-62, and although clean tasting, it's clearly an ale. I have the ability to lager, but I prefer ales. I wasn't trying to make a pseudo lager, just wanted a nice lite beer. It tastes promising so far.

Maybe you can check this out for some opinions on lager workarounds. It sounds like you could get away with using WLP810 to make a California Common type beer with the ambient temperatures you've got going on.

[ame]http://youtu.be/zluCEyQtQ0A[/ame]

Back