Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Kolsh / Yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
jakee117
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kolsh / Yeast question

OK. I am getting ready to do my first big AG batch , basically an Ed Worts batch scaled up to deliver 12 gallons to my primaries.

I made a starter with my Wyeast Kolsch 2565. Boiled 16 oz H2O with 1/2 cups DME. I saw other posts on here that suggest that the smak paks dont inflate with this Koelsch yeast. I confirm viability but no infation as with others that I have used.

Questions:

1) I pitched only one smak pack. Is the above a big enough starter for the batch?

2) I smell sulfur already. Is this normal?

3) How vigorous of a fermentation can I expect? Should I rig for blowout tubes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Congrats on moving to AG!

What are your specs for the batch, starting gravity in particular. I have made many starters with 2565 and have seen the pack expand rather nicely. How fresh is your yeast? Is it the small or big pack? I'd go for a blow off tube. I've had batches that the gunk from fermentation has gone into the blow off tube and into the bucket many times. I haven't had a sulfur problem with that strain, so can't offer much assistance. For a 12 gallon batch, I would have pitched approximately 2x as much yeast as I would for my normal 5 gallon batches, say maybe 2-3 packs made up with the method you describe.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
jakee117
Recipes 

The yeast has a manufacture date of Aug 15,2007. I put one pack designed for 100 billion cells in my started and am hoping to grow this to enough for a 12 gallon batch.

OG should be 1.052

Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakee117
OK. I am getting ready to do my first big AG batch , basically an Ed Worts batch scaled up to deliver 12 gallons to my primaries.

I made a starter with my Wyeast Kolsch 2565. Boiled 16 oz H2O with 1/2 cups DME. I saw other posts on here that suggest that the smak paks dont inflate with this Koelsch yeast. I confirm viability but no infation as with others that I have used.

Questions:

1) I pitched only one smak pack. Is the above a big enough starter for the batch?

1. It's enough to make a starter out of. Split your starter in 2 for both fermenters.
2. I've never used the Wyeast Kölsch so I can't say for sure, but some odor is normal.
3. Again, I've only used the White Labs Kölsch strain, so take this with a grain of salt. I've never needed a blowoff using this yeast, but if you have the necessary items then you might as well connect it just in case.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

1) http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
2) yes
3) you can always play it safe and use one but I didn't find it necessary on my Kolsch style batch with that yeast.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
jakee117
Recipes 

I also noticed that after 12 hours no yeast activity in the starter. Is this normal? I will let it go but when do I decide that I need more yeast?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I also noticed that after 12 hours no yeast activity in the starter. Is this normal? I will let it go but when do I decide that I need more yeast?
I have no idea when my batches take off any more...I don't really watch them all that closely. Lag times are influenced by a number of factors (aeration, pitching amount, yeast health, temps, ect) but I wouldn't get too worried @ 12 hours in.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you need to get a fresh pack of Kolsch yeast. I have used the Wyeast Kolsch a couple of times and it swelled up right away both times. I had vigorous (and very messy looking) ferments. The results were excellent, though.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just experienced what you are experiencing with the same worries. My SP did not expand and it made me worry, just a little. I made a starter and it sat for several days with what seemed to be no activity. Then I noticed that there was a ton of yeasties on the bottom of my emf. I pitched into 5.5 gallons and no more than 3 hours later my Kolsch was exploding. I had to put a blow off on and clean up my floor. Smells of sulfer and beer together. After a few weeks the sulfer scent died down and it is now on its way to chillin. I will slowly bring the beer down to about 34 degrees and keep it there until March.

I recently did a Maibok and experieced similar reaction but did not need the blow off. This one won't be ready until May.

-WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
jakee117
Recipes 

I am think about this Kolsch. Perhaps this strain behaves like a lager strain. I am going to try putting the started in the basement at 62 - 63 F and see if that unsticks the ferment.

Quick Reply