Originally Posted by jakee117
OK. I am getting ready to do my first big AG batch , basically an Ed Worts batch scaled up to deliver 12 gallons to my primaries.
I made a starter with my Wyeast Kolsch 2565. Boiled 16 oz H2O with 1/2 cups DME. I saw other posts on here that suggest that the smak paks dont inflate with this Koelsch yeast. I confirm viability but no infation as with others that I have used.
1) I pitched only one smak pack. Is the above a big enough starter for the batch?
2) I smell sulfur already. Is this normal?
3) How vigorous of a fermentation can I expect? Should I rig for blowout tubes?
1. It's enough to make a starter out of. Split your starter in 2 for both fermenters.
2. I've never used the Wyeast Kölsch so I can't say for sure, but some odor is normal.
3. Again, I've only used the White Labs Kölsch strain, so take this with a grain of salt. I've never needed a blowoff using this yeast, but if you have the necessary items then you might as well connect it just in case.