Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > KitchenAid grain mill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
brown_dog_us
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My wife does a lot of baking and has a Pro Series KA that I bought her as a present maybe 5 years ago. When I was trying to figure out why some of them cost twice as much I had a salesman tell me that the drive trains are plastic and are not as easy to repair on the cheaper models. These things are designed to run for hours and not over heat, so I wouldn't be surprised if they could grind grain for years.

Would I buy the grinding attachment? He!! no! You burn up her mixer and you'll hear about it for 20 years. If you burn up a $20 Black and Pecker drill she won't even notice.

Keg: Imperial Stout
Keg: Steam Beer
Keg: Robust Porter
Keg: Blonde Ale
Keg: Red Ale
Keg: Vienna Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #22
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Would I buy the grinding attachment? He!! no! You burn up her mixer and you'll hear about it for 20 years. If you burn up a $20 Black and Pecker drill she won't even notice.
Yeah, I have a BC now and I'm rethinking my previous idea of trying to add a pulley system to it. I think I'll use the drill.. for the same reason as you.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #23
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They are not even good for grinding flour, we burned up two of the industrial metal motor ones, and had to send them back. I went with the BC, even though I only paid $20.00 for the KA grain mill.
Stay away from grinding grain on the KA!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #24
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would just like to add, for anyone thinking of this...If you read the User Guide, this is clearly not designed for large grain bills. A few pounds of specialty grains for the extract brewer and this might be a good idea, but much more than that, even with all metal gearing and your mixer will likely break down. Crisis averted.

http://www.fantes.com/manuals/kitche...ill-manual.pdf

"BARLEY — For best results, barley should be hulled before grinding."

"NOTE: Do not grind more than 10 cups of flour at one time; damage to mixer may result. After grinding 10 cups of flour, allow the mixer to cool at least 45 minutes before using it again."

Quick Reply