Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > KitchenAid grain mill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #11
BeerCanuck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got a BC recently from the company delivered USPS
the Barley Crusher worked perfectly out of the box..nice mill.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you've got the flip up model KitchenAid I'd avoid the mill, as well as the grinder attachments. From everything I've read the internals for the PTO include nylon gearing that will strip under heavy loads. If you've got the Pro model, with the bowl that raises and lowers to the mixing head, you should be OK.

I've got a flip up KA. I bought a Barley Crusher. I love them both and would trade neither for their intended purposes.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew View Post
If you've got the Pro model, with the bowl that raises and lowers to the mixing head, you should be OK.
I've got the Pro Model with a steel transmission and 450 watt motor. It's easily the strongest motor in my house and I would love to use it when I get a BC rather than rigging some cheap drill.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
I've got the Pro Model with a steel transmission and 450 watt motor. It's easily the strongest motor in my house and I would love to use it when I get a BC rather than rigging some cheap drill.
I didn't mean to say you could use the KitchenAid to power the BC mill. While I'm quite sure there's a way to do that, and it just needs an enterprising mind to figure it out, the use of an electric powered hand drill is still the preferred way to spin the rollers on the BC. I happen to like being able to hook up an inexpensive drill to the BC and then easily remove it when I'm done crushing the grain. Storage of the drill is a bit easier than the KA mixer as well.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

True, but I already have the KA and have to store it. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like it would be super easy to make/modify a BC to work. This pasta attachment looks just like what I imagine it would look like.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #16
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I looked into this option when we first got a KA standmixer. Ours is only the artisan series, but I read somewhere that the grain mill puts more load on the mixers than any other attachment they make and the instructions tell you to limit run time to 3 minutes or something. I might be different for the pro-model with it's metal gearbox, but also remember that this thing is designed to make flour, not grist for brewing. For the money, the crush will likely always be inferior to a purpose-built grain crusher for the same money.

I know where your coming from though. Like I said once before, this stand mixer is the closest I'll ever come to owning a tractor, so I want to make use of that prop shaft! However, I think you're better off getting the pasta maker or meat grinder attachment.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 08-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

This has been a bit of a discussion over the last couple weeks in the listener letters section of Basic Brewing Radio...evidently some people have them and love them...IIRC the biggest issue was rigging up a hopper so you could grind more that a few ounces at a time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
Silver4269
Recipes 

I have the kitchenaid grain mill. do not buy it unless you plan on making flour. my mixer runs significantly slower than it did when it was new two years ago. and it takes at least a 1/2 hour to grind the grain for even a 5 gallon batch.
it worked fine for specialty grains in extract batches, but all grain requires at least a roller mill. and I don't have stuck sparges now that I"m running a 3 roller Monster Mill. 10 gallon all grain batches require a lot of grain, don't buy the KA mill.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #19
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
If you aren't 100% certain about the metal transmission, you might want to check it before using the mixer to power a BC. At some point, Kitchenaid made the gearbox out of plastic and that caused problems. It was just the gearbox, not the gears, but the design was bad. The box would eventually crack and have to be replaced. There were complaints and apparently they've switched back to all metal (at least in the Pro line, I'm not sure about the rest). But the plastic gearbox was even in the Pro line for a while.

If somebody out there is looking for a mixer, try to find an old Kitchenaid from when they were manufactured by Hobart. Those are the ones that have seen daily, heavy use for more than ten years and still run like new.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #20
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got the pro model with the large motor, etc. Had it about a year. I've used the grain mill attachment for up to 5lbs of grain and it worked fine. The motor itself didn't get hot at all, judging by the air being discharged by the cooling fan, and i processed the 5lbs of grain in say 8-10 minutes on the next-to-coarsest setting.

Only issue I've had is that on the most-coarse setting, the output grill gets clogged b/c the openings in it are too small. Going to use the ol' Dremel to fix that soon enough though.

- CStone

Quick Reply