Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Kitchenaid Burr Mixer for milling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

Default Kitchenaid Burr Mixer for milling

Anyone use these to mill their grain? Did a couple of searches and didn't see something like this in particular come up....

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Supreme-Grind-Automatic-CCM-16PC1/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1274988736&sr=1-6

24.95 seems like a good deal to me...

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

It is similar in function to the victoria/corona mills that some people use with good result. Here are the problems I anticipate, however.

1. Coffee beans are much large than wheat or barley grains. As such, a burr grinder for coffee may work poorly with smaller items.

2. The fixed speed of the motor may not be ideal and would not be (easily) adjustable.

3. The capacity would be small.

I think for not much more money you can probably find a corona type mill which would work better.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
nathani
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If you're serious about milling your own grain, get a grain mill. Especially if you're doing full mashes. Grinder type mills kill your husk and you get stuck sparges. Mine cost me about 200$, but I made my own hopper and upgraded to the stainless steel rollers.

http://www.crankandstein.net/

96$ if you don't want stainless and can make your own hopper.

If you're too cheap the corona is ok, but for less than twice the price you get a much more superior product. I've heard good things about the barley crusher too.

On Tap:
Oatmeal Stout
American Pale Ale
American Amber Ale
Scottish 60 Schilling
Cherry Blond Ale

In the Carboy:
Irish Red Ale
Lagunitas IPA Clone
Obsidian Stout Clone
American Pale Wheat

Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathani View Post
If you're serious about milling your own grain, get a grain mill.
+1. you won't be happy with the grind you get or the time it takes to mill 10+ lbs of grain. I use a Malt Mill (the one with the adjustable rollers) and it works great. well worth the investment.

Quick Reply