Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Kitchen Aid Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
McTarnamins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Kitchen Aid Grain Mill

Anyone ever used the Kitchen Aid grain mill attachment? We have a Kitchen Aid mixer that has never been used. I thought I could at least use it to make some liquid bread.

Does it grind too fine? I know there is an adjustment but was not sure if it could just crack the grain too.

Thanks,

Keg 4 :
Conical Left:
Conical Right:American Wheat (7-day G2G)
On Deck: Pumpkin Ale, Apocalypso Ale (AHB)

"Save your sack; Brew in a Bag"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Most of us have written that one off as too expensive and just bought (or made) a roller mill instead. If you've already got the attachment...give it a whirl, and let us know how it turns out!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

This has been discussed before. For what you will pay for the Kitchen Aid grinder you can purchase a decent malt mill.
If you already have one, give it a try. It won't be ideal but it would work if you are steeping grains.

EDIT: Ha ha! Yuri_Rage beat me to the punch.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A friend of mine has used a similar one for a few years to crack / crush / grind all his grain with. He made good beer with it but he has since repented and bought a proper grain mill.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
raceskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm curious about this too. I bought my mom a Kitchen Aid a few years back, but she's not doing much baking anymore and I can probably get the machine from her. The Kitchen Aid website says this about the milling attachment:

This all-metal attachment grinds wheat, oats, corn, rice, and other low-moisture, low-oil grains. Choose from 'cracked' to extra-fine consistency.

I'm going to see if I can find a store that carries the attachment and take a look at it. After looking at the picture on the website, I fear it may be more like a Corona mill.

Given that I already have the basic machine, adding the $150 milling attachment may give me a motorized mill that will do a lot of other (non-brewing) jobs as well.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

You can get a really nice grain mill for $150, though. If it's really a Corona-type design, I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money. No reason that a regular grain mill (Crankenstein or whatever), if it's adjustable, couldn't be used to mill other grains for breadmaking or whatever.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTarnamins
Anyone ever used the Kitchen Aid grain mill attachment? We have a Kitchen Aid mixer that has never been used. I thought I could at least use it to make some liquid bread.

Wow--that just strikes me as odd. After a good chef's knife, a Kitchen Aid is one of the most broadly useful tools you can have in your kitchen. Does no one cook in your household?

I made a skordalia sauce (greek garlic sauce with a stale bread base) a couple weeks ago that I beat for about an hour. I sure as hell wouldn't have done that with a whisk (or a hand mixer). Add fried Calimari and beer and go directly to heaven.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 04-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Wow--that just strikes me as odd. After a good chef's knife, a Kitchen Aid is one of the most broadly useful tools you can have in your kitchen. Does no one cook in your household?

I made a skordalia sauce (greek garlic sauce with a stale bread base) a couple weeks ago that I beat for about an hour. I sure as hell wouldn't have done that with a whisk (or a hand mixer). Add fried Calimari and beer and go directly to heaven.

I'll add to this a Cuisinart food processor..first thing I bought was a Santoku and a pairing knfe, then Cuisinart and finally the mixer. All have changed my cooking life!

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceskier
This all-metal attachment grinds wheat, oats, corn, rice, and other low-moisture, low-oil grains. Choose from 'cracked' to extra-fine consistency.

I'm going to see if I can find a store that carries the attachment and take a look at it. After looking at the picture on the website, I fear it may be more like a Corona mill.

Given that I already have the basic machine, adding the $150 milling attachment may give me a motorized mill that will do a lot of other (non-brewing) jobs as well.
I looked at these attachments, too, but decided to get a basic Corona-style mill for much cheaper. One thing to really pay attention to -- the hopper and auger on those Kitchenaid mills are REALLY small. And given the way it attaches to the mixer, I don't think you want to be DIY'ing the hopper to increase the size much -- the extra weight might be hard on it. But other than that, I am willing to bet it crushes at least as well as my cheap mill.

Honestly, though -- after crushing many pounds of grain with a small mill, I would spend that $150 and get a barley crusher for essentially the same price.

Quick Reply