Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > (Kinda) Old Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
bmantzey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default (Kinda) Old Grain

Less than a year ago, I stored some leftover grain into tupperware containers/storage bags and put them in the freezer. How long should these grains last without any unwanted side-effects? Freezing the grain shouldn't hurt it right? The grains are crushed. Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
VanHorneDog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

my guess is they are probably not a good idea to use. First they have have other flavors from the freezer in them, second they are crushed. For optimal extraction you need to use them as soon as possible, even with freezing.

that and it cant be more than $5 dollars worth of grain anyway, go to your LHBS and get some new. Your beer will thank you.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
bmantzey
Recipes 

Well, I did seal them pretty well in the tupperware and I put them in plastic bags as well. You may be right about the freezer flavors, so I'll definitely consider that, but as for their age and the temperature, they should be okay right?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made a brew with old grain recently. Off flavors came to haunt me. I cannot think of any possible reason other than the old grain I used. If I had to redo it I would just go buy some new grain rather than my near year old refrigerated grain.

Fresh ingredients = happy beer.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
bmantzey
Recipes 

Roger that! Question, what grains did you use? Was it the main malts or just a few oz of specialty grains?

Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
beeber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default grain

I would guess that the grain is probably still good. You could always give it the taste test. Take a handful and give it a good chew. If it tastes fine, you're fine. If you taste something funky, trash it.

Quick Reply