Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Kellerbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
kellerbier (basement beer) rocks. I had many MANY of them when I lived in Stuttgart. In fact, HB99 was looking for a recipe some time ago, but never got any responses or posted a follow -up.

If you have a recipe, I'd like to see it please!

-walker
Thanks for remembering my request...I thought I was being ignored.

Incidently, I brought back 2 kegs of kellerbier when I was in Bamberg in July.

BTW, thanks for the recipe. Maybe I'll brew a batch tomorrow. I ended up going to a German HB forum for some recipes...now if I can only find them...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I can't leave this thread to sit here forever like this.

The oak chip tea thing is utterly ridiculous. These beers have NO oak flavor; not ever. The "oak" barrels that you sometimes see Kellerbier and Alt bier in Dusseldorf served from are stainless on the interior and are just covered with wood on the outside to make them look cool.

Even in the lager brewing traditions that did actually use oak barrels (see old-school Pilsner Urquell) they went to extreme lengths to prevent the beer from actually contacting the wood; they'd cover the inside of the barrels in pitch to prevent the beer from contacting the wood and picking up wood flavors or infections from microorganisms that would setup camp in the wood. (Brettanyomyces can survive on the cellulose in a barrel almost indefinitely.)

The use of oak chips or oak tea is an abomination; this recipe should be renamed "Dof Americaner Kellerbier".

If I could destroy all traces of this recipe from all search engines everywhere I would be doing a great service to kellerbier. Adding this post to the end of threads that contain this recipe is the best I can do, though.

Adam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply