Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Keggle MLT Users, How much heat do you lose?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
davefleck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm looking into making a jump to both a 10g system and doing all grain.

I can't seem to find any good argument not to just use a cooler if you don't intend to step mash.

Ideally i'd like to be able to step mash so i've been considering a keggle or other pot for the mash tun.

That in mind, the benifit of insulation has come up. Unfortunatly most your heat lost due to convection through the side is on the lower end of the pot and also the heat source. You don't want your insulation to burn.

One ideais a sleave, if/when you fire the burner it will be removed totally
Thinking of using rigid insulation board, 2 layers (stager seam overlaps) The corners of the inside can given a diagnol piece that is vertically scored to curve to make a more round chamber to conform to the mash tun. 'Wall paper' the insides with tyvek. Use a heat resilant mastic.

coordinate the size of it with your brew scupture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

hummm, thats a good idea too, just removable insulation. I had a little trouble visualizing your exact design. If you feel like drawing it up, I am sure more than one person on here would benefit from it.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have used both coolers and keggles. When I went to 15 gallon batches I switched to using a 30 gallon HDPE drum for a mash tun. It is very thick (2.2 mm) high density polyethylene. They are food grade and hold heat much better than stainless steel. They are light and easy to clean. Their thick single wall makes them very easy to install a weldless bulkhead. You can pick them up cheap on ebay. In fact, the shipping is usually more than the drum itself. I bought a closed head drum and I cut the lid off about 2 inches down from the top (most narrow point). I then cut off a band of plastic to reduce the barrel height. The lid slips in quite nicely for a secure fit. It is by the nicest mash tun I have used. They come in different varieties (open and closed head) and in 15, 20, 30 and 55 gallon sizes. see the following link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Water-Barrel-New...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply