Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Keggle MLT Question/Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
hayabusa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keggle MLT Question/Comment

I have a keggle MLT w/ a copper manifold insulated with that Reflectix stuff (silver bubblewrap) and I have been losing about 5-9 degrees/hr; this past weekend I tried to direct fire the MLT to bump the heat up a few degrees which seemed to work but when it came time to clean it there was definitly some scorching happening (and that s$$t is hard to clean)

When direct firing it I had the flam on pretty low and constantly stirred up the mash to try and prevent any grains from resting on the bottom to long.

I do not want to use a cooler; I am not against a hot water tank element w/ a temp controller but would rather not have to use electricity and if I did that then I would put in in the HLT and make a HERMS but I am perfectly fine w/ single infusion batch sparging.

How are you guys direct firing your meggle MLT without scorching?? Are you using one of those flase bottoms and not a manifold to prevent scorching? I need to find a better way to heat the MLT to keep temps consistent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
hayabusa
Recipes 

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thats how I do it! I can tweak strike temps, do step decoctions and raise to mash out temps without ever adding hot water or using direct flames. Usually I just do single step mashing but I always raise to mashout temps (never had a stuck sparge!). I can raise from 155 to 168 in less than 10 mins (5 if I want) with a typical 5 gal grain bill. Just keep the grains stirred as steam injects and all is good. The steam ring can easily be adapted for any application.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
hayabusa
Recipes 

that's definitly interesting; I don't really have pressure cooker to get steam injection working.

I tihnk that the keggle, even with the refletix insulation is going to lose to much heat and I either need to switch over to a rubber-insulated keg or start with a thicker mash and raise my mash temp every 15/20 mins to end up with a total volume of 1.25(ish) qt/lb for the first runnings..... I have a pump but didn't want to to HERMS since batch is just easier and almost as effective. The steam idea does have me intrigued though and if I can find a cheap pressure cooker I may give it a try.

I still want to know how folks are direct firing the mash without scorching.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

I see a lot of peope around here use steam

Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I use a direct-fired MLT keggle. It sounds similar to yours with reflectix, etc. I use a stainless steel false bottom, so, with proper stirring, scorching is much less likely. Sometimes, on a cold brew day, I'll put the burner on very low while stirring if I think I'm losing too much heat.

Do you insulate the lid in any way? I found this can reduce heat loss dramatically. I went from losing 5°F per hour to maybe 1°F on a warm day. I put a folded up blanket over the lid and it keeps the heat in much better. I also have 3 layers of reflectix around it.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
I use a direct-fired MLT keggle. It sounds similar to yours with reflectix, etc. I use a stainless steel false bottom, so, with proper stirring, scorching is much less likely. Sometimes, on a cold brew day, I'll put the burner on very low while stirring if I think I'm losing too much heat.

Do you insulate the lid in any way? I found this can reduce heat loss dramatically. I went from losing 5°F per hour to maybe 1°F on a warm day. I put a folded up blanket over the lid and it keeps the heat in much better. I also have 3 layers of reflectix around it.
I made a reflectix lid but I will go with a blanket on top of it for the next batch; i think with the false bottom you are not allowing much grain at all to touch the bottom of the keggle where my manifold doesn't give me that - i think that is the main difference and probably the root of my issue. I may opt for the false bottom as a test but it's ~$40 which is a bit much for a test... did you make, or purchase yours? does it fit perfectly so no grain touches the bottom of the vessle?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I bought this one which was made specifically for a Sankey keg... yeah, a bit pricey, but scorching is one of the main reasons I bought it.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

You need a large false bottom and a pump. The heat must only be applied to areas where mash liquid touches and it has to be removed quickly to avoid overheating.

I also use reflectix but I treat it almost like a cooler. Strike water is heated directly in the MLT but I overshoot by 5F. Flame off, reflectix on. I then stir until the temp drops to strike temp. This heats the air in the reflectix bubbles and in the airspace between the keg and insulation.

I've done maybe 8 batches like this and I hope to build a HERMS or electric fired heat tube by next winter.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You need a large false bottom and a pump. The heat must only be applied to areas where mash liquid touches and it has to be removed quickly to avoid overheating.

I also use reflectix but I treat it almost like a cooler. Strike water is heated directly in the MLT but I overshoot by 5F. Flame off, reflectix on. I then stir until the temp drops to strike temp. This heats the air in the reflectix bubbles and in the airspace between the keg and insulation.

I've done maybe 8 batches like this and I hope to build a HERMS or electric fired heat tube by next winter.
so I have to recirculate to direct fire? makes sense now that you say it but it almost makes the point to HERMS it up and just keep the HLT to temp.... i guess it's only a few QD's and 50ft of copper more...... all of which I was trying to avoid. This hobby is a money pit.

Quick Reply