Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Keggle Mash Tun Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
lhd7osc
Frydaddy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Keggle Mash Tun Questions

So I’ve stepped up my game and I have an insulated Keggle Mash Tun utilizing a March 809 pump to recalculate the liquid.
In the past I’ve used a cooler and Batch Sparged. So with this new keggle/pump/burner set-up I have a few questions:

1. Since the MT is being recirculated continuously do I still need to do a Batch Sparge?
(The reason I’m asking this, couldn’t I just put ALL the water needed into my MT keep it at 152ish THEN just raise the heat to 170 for the last 10 minutes….done?)

2. Because I’m continuously recirculating the liquid, do I still need to do a Vorlauf?

3. Do I use a paddle to stir the Mash since I now have heat under it to keep it at a constant temperature?

My upgrade will be the Blichmann Tower of Power in a few weeks to control the burner. But for now, it's eyes on with manual adjustments.

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
lhd7osc
Frydaddy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Should this question perhaps been in the Equipment and Sanitation section?

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"

Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
November
...relax...

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 17

1. Sure you could, though the mash would be very thin, more along the lines of BIAB then a regular mash.
2. Since the grain bed would be set you could skip the vorlauf, but if you stirred or disturbed the bed in any way towards the end, you would need to vorlauf again.
3. You should stir at first in order to make sure all the grain is introduced to the strike water and to break up grain balls, after that stirring shouldn't be needed since the recirc will be regulating the temperature (hopefully).

Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
lhd7osc
Frydaddy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome...thank-you.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
SteelString_Will
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Agree with answers 2 and 3 above.

For 1, even with recirculating and controlling for heat, your efficiency will be off if you don't sparge, Even if you put all the water in at once. That is partly because you are messing up the pH by altering the water to grist ratio and decreasing enzyme activity. The action of the water filtering down through the grainbed in fly sparging is really the only way to get the most out of your grain, keeps your grist ratio optimal, and dissolves more sugars as it goes. Highly recommend taking the extra time to fly sparge.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
lhd7osc
Frydaddy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelString_Will View Post
Agree with answers 2 and 3 above.

For 1, even with recirculating and controlling for heat, your efficiency will be off if you don't sparge, Even if you put all the water in at once. That is partly because you are messing up the pH by altering the water to grist ratio and decreasing enzyme activity. The action of the water filtering down through the grainbed in fly sparging is really the only way to get the most out of your grain, keeps your grist ratio optimal, and dissolves more sugars as it goes. Highly recommend taking the extra time to fly sparge.
Okay....NOW it makes sense. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend....

Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1076 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you use the full volume then it's technically a no-sparge. The only problem with that is reduced efficiency.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Jbt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
If you use the full volume then it's technically a no-sparge. The only problem with that is reduced efficiency.
And ph could be high depending on you grain bill
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Nosnum08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will be doing a similar thing with my all grain setup. Should you still use a 2 quart water to 1 pound grain (I believe this is somewhat standard) and then sparge to get your liquid volume to what you need?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
lhd7osc
Frydaddy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosnum08 View Post
I will be doing a similar thing with my all grain setup. Should you still use a 2 quart water to 1 pound grain (I believe this is somewhat standard) and then sparge to get your liquid volume to what you need?
For me, I'm using Beersmith to calculate the water to grain ratio. As I said above the question I was curious about dealt with; why not just put ALL the water in there. But as wonderfully pointed out....it will lower my efficiency. Also the Ph is an issue...which I'm already dealing with. My water out here in the desert is Ph 8! So I'm usually purchasing Reverse Osmosis water and tweak that.

There are just so many things to adjust, think about....it makes my head almost explode

Quick Reply