New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Keggle/false bottom question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Keggle/false bottom question

I am doing an all-grain next weekend with my shiny new 15 gal Sanke keg. I made a whirlpool-style immersion chiller (50' of 5/8" OD copper) that I will be circulating ice water through via an immersible pump. I use a March pump to circulate the wort from the keggle to the pipe on the chiller to create the whirlpool while it cools.
My question is, should I use a SS braid in the kettle around the outer edge of the chiller to filter the wort before the pump, or should I buy a false bottom?
I can't seem to figure out if the false bottom is a wasted expense with the whirlpool or not. But I know I will have more wort left in the bottom of the keg if I go with the SS braid solution....
Ideas anyone?

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

WOW! Did I piss everyone off by the way I worded my question, or is one's first post invisible to other users?
Can't believe i didn't even get a smirky comment, much less a valuable opinion...

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

Old 08-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
WOW! Did I piss everyone off by the way I worded my question, or is one's first post invisible to other users?
Can't believe i didn't even get a smirky comment, much less a valuable opinion...
Yeah, you really came across like a jerk in your first post! Just kidding... (Is that smirky enough?) I never saw this thread. It might also be helpful to post an introduction in the "Introductions" forum so we can get to know you a little.

Whichever way you decide for your keggle, I think it's best to collect the wort from as far to the outside circumference of the keggle as possible. This will help alleviate the whirlpooled trub getting stuck.

PS: Welcome to HBT!

END TRANSMISSION

Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

COOL! Thank you very much.
And great smirky comment. Obviously, you are experienced. hehehe

Old 08-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts

This forum has become so active that if a thread isn't answered very quickly it may be pushed down the list quickly enough that everyone misses it. Your bump did the trick.

Both a false bottom and a braid are only effective at filtering whole hops. If you use pellet hops, neither will filter much. Several of us have built these, which are effective at filter both. It's just a giant nylon mesh bag clamped to a PVC coupler that is suspended above the keggle.

Regardless of your hop filtering method, I suggest your pickup tube go to the bottom of the keggle so you pull as much wort as possible out. If you get the cold break, there's no harm done to your beer.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Funny enough, I have been reading about these hop bags this morning. I am going to fab one of these this week and just plan on using a braid just to keep anything really "chunky" out of the pump while I am whirlpooling.
Your explanation is spot-on I think about the delay in responses. There is a LOT of activity here, but that is a good thing. I hope I didn't come off a too big of a jerk in my second post.

Quick Reply