Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Kegging. What am I doing wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
billl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Most people I've talked to find 10 ft to be about right and 5ft to end up with a ton of foam. I know that is certainly what happened to me.

A quick test for overcarbonation - drop the PSI to 1 or so - just enough for the beer to trickle out. If you still pour a pint of foam, you are way carbed.

Also, just like bottling, it you just toss the bottle in the fridge until it is cold, you end up with foam. If you leave it there a couple days, the CO2 stabilizes and you get much more consistent carbonation and pour. It probably took most of the day for the keg to go from room temp to fridge temp and definitely isn't going to reach equilibrium in that time frame.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
KegWrangler
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
4 feet may work for you (I'm not saying it doesn't!) but most of us have found that the standard 5' of tubing is not nearly enough. So while I'm glad it works in your system, most of us don't share the same experience

The line length calculators make a lot of assumptions that generally renders them useless for home kegerators.
I started with 5 feet but every now and then I'd shift things around and cut off an inch from each end...thus the four feet. At some point I'll be too short and spring for some new lines, but for now I'm cheap.

Balancing the system is a bit of an art, depending on the line type, size, faucet, pressure and probably the alignment of the starts/planets (I think the age of aquarius is over now so factor that in as well), but once you get it working it's a sweet thing for sure.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman6409 View Post
deal with it.
lol

Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I've found that using a cobra picnic tap is more forgiving for line length. If that's what your using, 5' is probably OK.
If your using a beer faucet, that's a different story... you'll definitely need 10' of 3/16 for that.

Like others have said, purge the Co2 (you over carb'd it) use the correct beer line diameter and length.

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Quick Reply