Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Keg as a fermenter?????

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
wrestler63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 173
Default Keg as a fermenter?????

I have recently completeted collecting my kegs for my 3 vessel, single tier brewery. My local pub sells me newer kegs for the deposit he pays. I have a local welder who cuts my tops and welds in my inserts for a very small fee..Have found the 1/2" NPTF SS inserts from a local supplier for under 6 bucks.....I have less than $ 65.00 invested in each vessel( keg, inserts, and labor. ) Because of the low cost, I would like to convert a keg into a fermenter. My idea is to remove the stem from the keg for blow off tube, add an insert at the the side for raking, another underneath for capturing yeast, and 32" legs. Is there any sanitizing concerns or cleaning problems any of you can see with this set up? I am concerned about the small opening at the top for access to clean and sanitize.

__________________
wrestler63 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
chefmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: north Georgia
Posts: 1,358
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Browse members and look for wortmonger. He is the king of sanke fermenters. I think he is doing a pressurized ferment, but his cleaning process would be the same.

Here... I looked it up.

__________________
Reformation Brewery: We went professional
Obsessing over: starting a local brewery (hence I am not here much these days!), Pickles, my wife, 2 year old and 5 year old, my chevy 6.5L diesel Suburban
Reading: fall of giants by ken follett
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven
chefmike is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Default

Basic brewing devoted an entire podcast to it over the summer http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...kegferment.mp3

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Using it like a conical won't work, you won't be able to get all of the yeast out.

It will be like a soda keg for serving where you get some yeast from right around the dip tube and then the beer just starts coming out with most of the yeast still in there.

Just add an adjustable racking arm. Either rotating through the side like Sabco does, or a racking cane through the top like brewershardware.com (the less shiny version of the same thing employs a racking cane and carboy cap).

Cleaning: use chemicals, buy a small mirror. You can throw it on a burner with some water to soften the residue before cleaning. Not much harder to clean than a carboy per se, just harder to see when it is clean.

Sanitizing: no need for concern. Throw some water in it, pop it on a burner and boil it for 15 minutes or so. This is actually the primary advantage of sankey fermenters, imo.

__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cape Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norton, MA
Posts: 9,978
Liked 380 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/using-sanke-keg-143498/

...couple of ideas/comments
__________________
Why the eff not... everyone else is starting a nano!!! I wanna!!! www.bogironbrewing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.
Cape Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Oh yeah, I recommend against adding legs. You won't be able to put it on a burner in that case, you can rack with a small (or high depending on how you modify it) amount of pressure instead of a siphon. Since you won't be able to dump the yeast unless you actually modify it into a conical, the legs have far more disadvantages than advantages.

__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
wrestler63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Using it like a conical won't work, you won't be able to get all of the yeast out.

It will be like a soda keg for serving where you get some yeast from right around the dip tube and then the beer just starts coming out with most of the yeast still in there.

Just add an adjustable racking arm. Either rotating through the side like Sabco does, or a racking cane through the top like brewershardware.com (the less shiny version of the same thing employs a racking cane and carboy cap).

Cleaning: use chemicals, buy a small mirror. You can throw it on a burner with some water to soften the residue before cleaning. Not much harder to clean than a carboy per se, just harder to see when it is clean.

Sanitizing: no need for concern. Throw some water in it, pop it on a burner and boil it for 15 minutes or so. This is actually the primary advantage of sankey fermenters, imo.
If I position the ball valve 2" above bottom and another underneath in th middle of the concave can I still remove the yeast? It will be on legs
__________________
wrestler63 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
wrestler63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Browse members and look for wortmonger. He is the king of sanke fermenters. I think he is doing a pressurized ferment, but his cleaning process would be the same.

Here... I looked it up.
mog, so helpful.....thank you thank you
__________________
wrestler63 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler63 View Post
If I position the ball valve 2" above bottom and another underneath in th middle of the concave can I still remove the yeast? It will be on legs
You can remove some of the yeast in the immediate area of the valve, but it won't all slide out like a conical unless you actually modify it to have a conical bottom.
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
RighteousFire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 224
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Have your welder remove the bottom and just weld on a stainless cone to the bottom.

__________________

Cheers.

RighteousFire is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/2 Keg Fermenter ? PaloAltoMark Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 10-12-2009 02:56 AM
How to stop airlock gunk from getting in fermenter when moving fermenter... Poincare Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 07-22-2009 01:22 AM
Keg Fermenter Kit? aekdbbop Equipment/Sanitation 8 12-06-2006 04:53 AM
If I have lots of trub in fermenter, how high should I fill fermenter? Perennial Tears Extract Brewing 1 07-18-2006 12:09 AM