Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > just wheat vs. flaked wheat vs. wheat malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Default just wheat vs. flaked wheat vs. wheat malt

As the title of this thread indicates, I am trying to find the difference between the 3. I have been grain brewing for a couple of years now, but have little experience with wheat. I'm looking to make a Belgian wit and wanted to know the primary difference between the three types of wheat I have seen at my LHBS.

Any thoughts about their appropriate usage and what I can expect when dealing with them in large amounts (50% or more of my total grist) would be appreciated.

For that matter, is there a place on line where I can find out more about the various grains and adjuncts and what their most appropriate contributing attributes are? Kind of a "one stop shopping" list?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

our wiki is a good start

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I think white wheat is preferred over red, but i might have that backwards, actually I probably do.

Also I dont see anything in the wiki about that but I could just be failing at using the search function.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
duckonfidelis
Recipes 

Default Red vs White

I have found that red provides a better wheat flavor. Use as much as you like, I often do a 100% wheat grist with great conversion and no sticking sparge.

Quick Reply