Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Just went all grain....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I have made small covers from voile fabric that slide over my ss hose braids. I tie a knot on one end and secure the other end with a zip tie. Using this method on my last 20+ brews I have yet to have a stuck/slow sparge. The voile material is the same cloth used for BIAB style bags or hop sacks. You may want to try this option if you don't have the money funds for a false bttom right now. You can buy the fabic in the curtain section of Walmart for $5. Cut the loop off of the part the curtain rod slides through and you will have nice sock to slide over you ss braid. You can get several of these from just one section of the curtain loop and reuse them.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
J-Pizzel
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When I cleaned out my mash tun I noticed the mesh tube was stretched out, making it very very tight (ie Chinese finger trap), towards the front, near the spout. I'm thinking this is what caused the "clog". How can I prevent this?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pizzel
When I cleaned out my mash tun I noticed the mesh tube was stretched out, making it very very tight (ie Chinese finger trap), towards the front, near the spout. I'm thinking this is what caused the "clog". How can I prevent this?
Is the braid just a straight tube or does it wrap around in a circle? If it's stretched out its probably from the paddle hitting it while stirring. I try to be careful and not drag the paddle across the bottom. If that isn't the case for you, maybe try a false bottom.

Quick Reply