Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Joining the dark side... made a MLT and going all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
sirsloop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I think a bigger brew pot is the key here. Right now I'm limiting my sparge volume because I have a small pot. If I get a larger pot and do full boils i'll be able to increase efficiency and lower my grain bill (and hop usage). I can use my existing 20qt stock pot to heat up sparge during mashing. So right now I need 10 pounds to do this recipe, where as I may have been able to do it with 7 pounds with more sparge water. That'll free up some space in the cooler for higher gravity beers. I think that using a cooler just as big as you need is a good thing though. If you have a monster sized cooler you're gonna end up with a shallow grain bed. Tall and skinny is the hot setup.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sirsloop; 05-28-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply