Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I've been saying this for a while...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #51
pentachris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 146
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

This 50' immersion chiller is less than this 25' counterflow chiller. (I found two items from the same supplier for a better head-to-head comparison.)
__________________
pentachris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #52
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LuiInIdaho's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ponderay, Idaho
Posts: 438
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley

It's more expensive than an immersion chiller that has like 25-50' of copper tube?
Because the counter flow chiller also has 25-50' of copper. It also has additional parts and is harder to put together than an immersion chiller.
__________________
LuiInIdaho is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #53
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiInIdaho

Because the counter flow chiller also has 25-50' of copper. It also has additional parts and is harder to put together than an immersion chiller.
Oh ok, is there a big different for which works best?
__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #54
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 23,564
Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley View Post
Oh ok, is there a big different for which works best?
Yes and no. I've only ever used a CFC. I built it. It works "great".

Cons: More work to put together (or more fun..)
Only chills the portion of the wort that passes through. What hasn't gone through is still HOT.
Can't easily know if the inside is clean.

Pros: Chills somewhat more efficiently. If I choke the flow I can cool the batch in about 15 minutes in the summer. Normally in the winter I run it wide open, so maybe 10 minutes.

If I had to do it again I'd build a IC. The ability to see that it's "clean" is a huge bonus for me. The difference in performance is not enough to make it a clear cut winner. Shure you can chill 10 minutes faster, but really, does that 10 minutes make your beer noticeably better tasting? There is the question of how fast do you HAVE to chill your beer? There is no answer. Lots of people chill in 30-45 minutes and make great beer.

I actually thought about *downgrading* to an IC, but then I realized that with my pump I could recirculate the chilled wort back in and chill the whole batch at once. And i also realized that I could sanitize the chiller by recirculating for a while before I start the water flow to the chiller.

At this time I'm thinking about upgrading to a Duda Desiel Plate chiller and selling my CFC. The plate chiller has all the advatages of the CF, but is even more efficient, and can be baked to STERILIZE it between batches if I want to.

Bottom line: Any and all will work well enough. IC is a winner for people looking to save a few $$ and still have a great chiller.
__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #55
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal

Yes and no. I've only ever used a CFC. I built it. It works "great".

Cons: More work to put together (or more fun..)
Only chills the portion of the wort that passes through. What hasn't gone through is still HOT.
Can't easily know if the inside is clean.

Pros: Chills somewhat more efficiently. If I choke the flow I can cool the batch in about 15 minutes in the summer. Normally in the winter I run it wide open, so maybe 10 minutes.

If I had to do it again I'd build a IC. The ability to see that it's "clean" is a huge bonus for me. The difference in performance is not enough to make it a clear cut winner. Shure you can chill 10 minutes faster, but really, does that 10 minutes make your beer noticeably better tasting? There is the question of how fast do you HAVE to chill your beer? There is no answer. Lots of people chill in 30-45 minutes and make great beer.

I actually thought about *downgrading* to an IC, but then I realized that with my pump I could recirculate the chilled wort back in and chill the whole batch at once. And i also realized that I could sanitize the chiller by recirculating for a while before I start the water flow to the chiller.

At this time I'm thinking about upgrading to a Duda Desiel Plate chiller and selling my CFC. The plate chiller has all the advatages of the CF, but is even more efficient, and can be baked to STERILIZE it between batches if I want to.

Bottom line: Any and all will work well enough. IC is a winner for people looking to save a few $$ and still have a great chiller.
Got it.. I saw a IC for about 30$-100$ so and 1 plate chiller for about 80$ and it takes me hours to cool my beer because I dont have a trying besides a bathtub and water. Now I've read on a few threads that mash tuns are "easy" to build if I know what I'm doing, but is it better to build one or buy a manufactured one for a lot more? People were discussing the weakness where you make the hole and how to make it stronger, leak proof, and all around better. Do you guys have an opinion on that?
__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #56
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Double post! Sorry

__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #57
crushingblackdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 177
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Default

You have nothing to fear but the fear itself!
I went AG about 10-15 batches ago & I swear it's even easier then extract/partial. Less clean up, somehow..., total control, pride in "designing" brews, no more stovetop (def get a campchef outdoor propane burner, you won't believe the difference in heating time!), no more crap piling up in the kitchen. I've done a couple extract brews since, and I wonder why. PITA!! I boil over EVERY TIME i use extract on my stove. Go for the AG! You won't regret it. Just my £2. Brew On!

__________________
crushingblackdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #58
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingblackdoom View Post
You have nothing to fear but the fear itself!
I went AG about 10-15 batches ago & I swear it's even easier then extract/partial. Less clean up, somehow..., total control, pride in "designing" brews, no more stovetop (def get a campchef outdoor propane burner, you won't believe the difference in heating time!), no more crap piling up in the kitchen. I've done a couple extract brews since, and I wonder why. PITA!! I boil over EVERY TIME i use extract on my stove. Go for the AG! You won't regret it. Just my £2. Brew On!
Thanks for the sound advice! I just went on a shopping spree... I got this http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/a...5-gallons.html I hope its the right one, and I dont need a mash tun & lauter tun! I can only afford one right now so I hope it works!
__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #59
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Hooray! I got my gear today, mash tun, auto siphon, immersion chiller, and some other misc toys! I can't wait to make my first AG brew !!! Any ideas on some first AG brews? Right now I have a peach blonde sitting in bottles, wife was thinking about a black ipa. We drink anything, but I love the dark heavy beers, I don't mind flossing after a beer if it's good. Lol

__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #60
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Thanks everyone for more or less pushing me into AG! I did my first batch today, it was NB nut brown ale, and it was so much fun!
I love all grain now haha it went pretty quickly also! I started around 11am, and got done with clean up around 330pm after loitering around and recleaning things several times.

__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools