Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Issues With First Lager - Munich Helles/WLP830

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
SouthBay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I really do like it, especially because you get so much more yeast per pack, at a lower price, because it's dry. I only did a single 2L starter of about 1040, and it was more than enough for the beer (1.060). Ive made sure to wash plenty to keep it around for future brews.

Between Nottingham, Safale 04, and the 34/70, my conversion to dry yeast is complete.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I love the W34/70 also and buy it by the brick.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Fijidave12
Recipes 

Seems to be time to slowly drop the temp and lager this beast. Hopefully some age and more patience will make a difference. But seriously...a pot roast aroma?! Who knows...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijidave12 View Post
Seems to be time to slowly drop the temp and lager this beast. Hopefully some age and more patience will make a difference. But seriously...a pot roast aroma?! Who knows...
That aroma should lager out, that sucks the yeast didn't work for you. I used 838 on my last Helles and it finished at .012.
I used 830 on my maibock, it went from .068 to .014 with no problems.

Since I went to pure oxygen for aeration, i've noticed shorter lag times and lower fg's, I wish I would have started using in it 3 years ago.

I also make it a habit to not smell my lagers, malty beers don't really have a pleasant aroma(to me anyways) like a dryhopped IPA's do.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Fijidave12
Recipes 

Thanks buddy. I certainly haven't given up on the yeast. I'll give it another helluva go. And maybe an O2 tank may be a purchase in the near future. I'll certainly let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Like Flananuts said, it sounds like it might be an oxygen problem. I have tried a couple different methods of aeration and nothing beats pure O2. I hated the cost of the regulator and diffusion stone, but not I can aerate w pure O2 for 45 sec to 1 minute and my yeast goes nuts quickly. I would say that the O2 regulator was the 2nd best purchase I have ever made for homebrewing behind my ferm chamber (chest freezer) and temp controller.

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
y2jrock60
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I attempted my first 3 lagers with WLP830. The first was a German pilsner followed by a Vienna lager and smoker lager. The pilsner and Vienna had an off flavor at the end. I believe the smoked lager would have the same flavor, but the 4lbs of smoked malt masks it. The off flavor is hard to describe, but I'm almost certain it's not Diaceytl. It more closely resembles a slight sulfur note. Some who have used 830 describe a slight sulfur taste from it, while others say it finishes clean.

I took the beers to a local home brew meeting and had the experienced brewers with refined palates tell me what was off. They immediately recognized the flavors as a result of high a fermentation temperature. I fermented around 56 and 55 which is apparently too high for 830. They told me they pitch and ferment their lagers at 48 without the need for a diaceytl rest. I wasn't able to this this since I didn't have a temperature controller. I'm definitely going to invest in one before my next lager. They also recommended lagering for 6 weeks. I only fermented for 2 and lagered for another 2. I'm not sure why you had problems with fermentation, but I'd thought I share my experience with off flavors from 830.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just picked up a tube of WLP860 (Munich Helles yeast) and I am planning on brewing a helles and then a german pils with it. The plan will be to pitch low and keep it low and then maybe ramp up a little at the end to help it clean up after itself an then lager for 4-6 weeks. I'll let you know what happens.

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 09-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, how did this turn out?

Quick Reply