Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Irish Red Ale - Success! (so far)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Onihige
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Under pitching yeast will make the yeast work harder to reproduce, which will affect the flavor profile. At 1.060 I don't think you will get a stuck fermentation or anything like that.

At most the flavors from the yeast will come out more. Which in itself doesn't have to be a bad thing.

This isn't a beer belly, It's a fuel tank for a love machine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
wetzie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have worked with dry and liquid yeast and both have their merrit. Everything I know I learned from this forum and am still learning. I enjoy making starters and they yield great results.
I have been using dry yeasts for flavor beers like IPA; pumpkin; ect and liquid yeasts for ales like your Irish Ale. I have stressed the yeast by under pitching on ales and the off flavors are suttle but there none the less.
Starters are easy but require a day lead time.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #13
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Kegged this Irish Red Ale tonight (second time legging, liking it...). The OG was 1.046, FG 1.010. Sample tastes good and nice and clear. Good nutty, malty flavor and clean finish. Going to save this keg for a Christmas party in our hood in one month, thinking it will be great then! Hope to show off my brew prowess.

On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Hey bd2xu....how bout a final analysis of this batch. I brewed the extract version of this kit and am pretty disappointed so far. I'm wondering how yours came out.

Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone, Chocolate Milk Stout
On Deck: Not sure yet.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellis007 View Post
Hey bd2xu....how bout a final analysis of this batch. I brewed the extract version of this kit and am pretty disappointed so far. I'm wondering how yours came out.
Well I've had a couple pints but that was over a week ago. Will be tapping it for real at a Holiday party tomorrow night so we will see. No doubt it will get consumed by this bunch but most are coors light heads. I don't know how qualified I am to judge it since i'm very much a hophead. I thought it was pretty good though, very drinkable, could use a little more depth and body but all around pretty decent. I may try to get some Smithwicks today to compare and will post that.
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 12-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu

Well I've had a couple pints but that was over a week ago. Will be tapping it for real at a Holiday party tomorrow night so we will see. No doubt it will get consumed by this bunch but most are coors light heads. I don't know how qualified I am to judge it since i'm very much a hophead. I thought it was pretty good though, very drinkable, could use a little more depth and body but all around pretty decent. I may try to get some Smithwicks today to compare and will post that.
Well it was great, was gone in less than two hours and everyone raved about. I drank a few pints and it was good, definitely a crowd pleasing session beer.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
Well it was great, was gone in less than two hours and everyone raved about. I drank a few pints and it was good, definitely a crowd pleasing session beer.
Good deal. Glad it turned out good. I'm hoping a bit more aging will make a bit of difference with mine. 3 weeks bottle conditioning and it still tastes blah. Thanks for the update.
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone, Chocolate Milk Stout

Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellis007

Good deal. Glad it turned out good. I'm hoping a bit more aging will make a bit of difference with mine. 3 weeks bottle conditioning and it still tastes blah. Thanks for the update.
I primed in the keg and we drank it exactly one month in the keg

Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I primed in the keg and we drank it exactly one month in the keg
Well I tried mine again after 4 weeks conditioning and what a difference! The wife and I both think it's our best batch so far.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellis007

Well I tried mine again after 4 weeks conditioning and what a difference! The wife and I both think it's our best batch so far.
Yep I'm finding that's a standard, don't really judge your beer until at least 4 weeks in the keg or bottle.

Quick Reply