Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hi all. I forgot to add Irish moss to the batch I made yesterday, an Irish Red Ale. Is there anything I can do at this point to help with clarity?

Yup you can cold crash or just extend the primary time for the beer to clear. IMO, it's not really a big deal, the beer will still clear nicely if you are patient.

If I choose to cold crash I would just drop the temperature down to about 35 for about 3 days or so, correct?

I have never been able to get gelatin to work...probably just not doing it correctly...cold crashing works though. :)

In my experience, I have had good results with cold crashing for as short as 24 hrs.

When cold crashing is done would I bring the beer up to room temperature if I choose to bottle?

When cold crashing is done would I bring the beer up to room temperature if I choose to bottle?

Definitely rack the beer into your bottling bocket while it's as cold as possible.

Then you can either let it warm up in the bottling bucket or bottle right away. I've bottled a few batches while the beer was still cold (around 40°F), and I haven't noticed any difference in carbonation from bottling when it's warm.

In my experience, I have had good results with cold crashing for as short as 24 hrs.

Must be using a freezer. It takes almost three days for my 17cf fridge to drop two five gallon batches from fermentation temperature down to 34°F, so I don't go by time...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back